10 Best Vitamin D Supplements Reviewed
Vitamin D is important… really important. It’s the only vitamin absorbed through our skin from being out in the sun. We also need to get it from certain types of seafood and fish, egg yolks, as well as various fortified foods.
Studies show that it helps reduce anxiety and depression, aids in weight loss and normal immune system function, helps with the absorption of calcium and phosphorous, and reduces the risks of heart disease and multiple sclerosis. Deficiencies may show up as weariness, unexplained bone and muscle weakness, general aches and pains, and brain fog. More serious problems such as osteoporosis and various cancers may occur as a result of a Vitamin D deficiency.
Even with the importance of Vitamin D in mind, many studies suggest that many of us are woefully deficient in this vital nutrient. Therefore we need to take supplements to help us get the levels that we need.
But, as important as vitamin D is for the health, too much can also cause hemophilia, kidney stones, and muscle weakness. Consult your doctor before starting or increasing any vitamin supplement program.
Sports Research Vitamin D3 with Coconut Oil
Because these capsules contain coconut oil, they may appear “cloudy” due to its semi-solid state, not because they have gone bad or are defective. Coconut oil has many health benefits it could almost be considered a panacea. These benefits include: beautiful skin and hair, increasing energy levels and anti-oxidants, hormone balance, and anti-aging. It also helps with weight loss, building muscle, reducing incidences of heart disease, high blood pressure, inflammation, various infections and skin conditions, brain fog and Alzheimer’s symptoms, selective stomach problems, diabetes, and cancer.
This supplement is gluten free which is safe for those with celiac disease.
This is an excellent value – almost a year’s worth of pills (if taken once daily). With a 2 year shelf life you don’t have to worry about them going bad if you forget to take them once and awhile.
- Excellent quality product/ attractive packaging
- Made in the USA
- Made with coconut oil, which has numerous health benefits (see key features)
- Gluten free
- Emulsified for better absorption
- Some users experience unpleasant side effects / allergic reactions / no effect
- Some customers complained about bad smelling pills or pills sticking together
- Some users had a bad experience with the company in terms of customer service
Bio-Tech’s D3 Contains 50,000 IUs, which some may find to be too much. On the other hand, if the user is prescribed a supplement, these may work.
This is an average (if a tad high) price for these caps, but not many brands on the market contain 50,000 IUs of Vitamin D.
- 50,000 of Vitamin D
- Halal certified
- Users have reported a reduction or even elimination of various health problems
- Effective for vitamin D level maintenance
- Works as well as prescription vitamins (for some users)
- Some users will find 50,000 too high of a dose/ experience negative side effects
- Some users received bottles that were about to expire or already expired.
- Not all users will see effect
- Low bio-availability by itself (some users have suggested taking with Vitamin K2 to help with absorption)
Nature Made Vitamin D3 Softgels
These Nature Made Vitamin D3 have only 1000 IUs. Many other brands have higher amounts.
These softgels are US Pharmacopeia Certified, which means that the manufacturer initially sent samples of their product to an outside lab to be tested. The agency retests one (1) to six (6) times yearly from samples they pick up in the store. This is the only product on the list to have such a certification.
The Nature Made Vitamin D3 1000 IU is an excellent value in terms of cost for a softgel product. If taken once daily, there’s about a 10 month supply in each bottle.
- Easy to take pill, about half the size of a pea
- Safety / anti-tampering feature for the bottle
- No aftertaste
- US Pharmacopeia Certified
- Some users complained about the pills sticking together
- Only 1000 IUs, which may not be enough for some users.
- Some users have had negative side effects
- May Contain GMOs (at least according to one user)
Solgar Vitamin D3 Softgels
The Soldar Vitamin D3 are advertised to support muscles and the immune system, which some people are looking for in a vitamin D supplement.
These vitamin D3 contain 10,000 IUs of vitamin D, which may not be a suitable amount for all users
This is an excellent price for these softgels, in fact based on the dosage, it’s the best value.
- 10,000 IUs of vitamin D3
- Contains no GMOs, gluten, dairy, soy, yeast, sodium, sweeteners, artificial colors or preservatives
- Sometimes bottle will smell rancid
- Sometimes pills will clump together
- May be too high of a dose, unless prescribed
Biotics Research Bio-D-Mulsion Forte
The Biotics Research Bio-D-Mulsion Forte Vitamin D is a liquid form has “micro emulsion” for easy absorption – useful to know about if you want maximum absorption
The liquid comes in an easy dispense container something like an “eye dropper” to help avoid accidental overdosing.
This is an excellent value for liquid vitamin D drops, but users should beware of the taste/ consistency of the product.
- Formula reduces risk of hypercalcemia (excess calcium in the blood)
- Liquid formula for better absorption
- Bottle lasts a long time
- Recommended by Naturopaths
- Difficult to get “proper” sized drops
- Some users may not like the side effects/ taste/ consistency
- Some users have received out of date products.
NOW Foods Vitamin D-3 Softgels
This product is Good Manufacturing (GMP) Certified. This certification is a system which safeguards products, ensuring they are produced with controls in place to protect quality standards, thus minimizing pharmaceutical production risks involved in the manufacturing process which can’t be removed through final product testing.
This is an excellent value for these softgels, among the cheapest in fact on the list. If taken once daily, one bottle will last the user about 8 months.
- Easy to swallow
- 2 year shelf-life
- Contains Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a natural emulsifier
- GMP Certified
- No soybean oil
- Some users may have negative side effects from use
- Sometimes the pills stick together
- Bottle is not childproof
MegaFood Vitamin D3
For those who are concerned about consuming GMOs, the MegaFood - Vitamin D-3 2000 IU is Non-GMO certified. This means that everything from the seeds through harvest, transport through processing and everything in-between are certified to be organic.
Users will also want to know that this is in a hard pill/ tablet form (as opposed to a gelcap, softgel or liquid formula), as some find them to be less effective
This is an expensive product in terms of cost, that’s for sure! The pills, if taken daily are only about a 3 month supply. Given that they have multiple layers of testing, the fact that it is non-GMO certified, vegetarian, food based product; it’s well worth the cost.
- All Natural / Non-GMO certified
- Vegetarian & Food based
- Thoroughly tested
- Easily digested
- Contains yeast: not suitable to those prone to yeast infections
- Contains Lanolin
- Pill form (and “pill smell!” according to some users)
Madina Halal D3
These vitamins are Halal Certified, which are the dietary restrictions those of the Muslim faith follow.
In addition to 5000 IUs of vitamin D, this supplement also contains 70 mg of calcium and 55 mg of phosphate.
This is an expensive product, probably due to the fact that it’s halal certified, as well as being tested in an FDA approved facility.
- All natural ingredients
- Product made in a FDA approved facility
- Quality Tested
- Halal pork free certified by both the IFNCA and Omaha’s Halal Transaction Council
- May not work for all users
Nature Made Vitamin D3 Adult Gummies
Nature Made Adult Gummies Vitamin D3 is a gummy product, not pills, liquid or drops. This means you chew them like a fruit snack or candy.
The only supplement in these gummy chews is 2000 IUs of Vitamin D.
The Nature Made Adult Gummies Vitamin D3 gummies are an excellent value in terms of cost, but not all users will enjoy the taste.
- Natural fruit flavors of strawberry, peach and mango
- Easy to chew
- Some users prefer gummies to pills or liquids
- Some users may not like the flavors/ texture/ hardness/ size
- Some users have commented that the product has recently changed
NOW Vitamin D-3 & K-2 Liposomal Spray
Includes 100 mcg Vitamin K-2, which is important for Vitamin D absorption. This is the only vitamin D supplement on the list that specifically contains this ingredient.
The Now Vitamin D3 comes in a Spray bottle, which some users may prefer the convenience over tablets, softgels, or gelcaps. The spray comes out like a mist.
This is a mid-priced option. There are about 80 sprays per bottle, which is a bit less than a 3 month supply.
- Contains Vitamin K
- Citrus taste
- Easy to use
- Absorbs quickly
- Contains GMO Soy
- Some users may not like the taste
- Bottle may leak
There are a variety of vitamin D supplements on the market. They come in a variety of forms and combined with other vitamins and nutrients. Refer to our buying guide and see which ones match what your Vitamin D needs.