10 Best Energy Gels for Running
The market is full of different energy gels which contain different ingredients. Check out our list to find the best energy gels for running right here.
There are quite a few different energy gels out there which are good for running. They come in many different flavors, different formulas and contain many different ingredients. There are gels that are intended for different uses by the many different runners who may be using them.
To get a better picture of some of the top choices that are available out there, we have put together this list of the best rated energy gels that are suitable for runners:
1. Clif Shot Energy Gel
- Mocha flavored for the chocolate lovers
- 90% organic ingredients
- High in caffeine content, so could cause stomach issues
2. GU Original Sports Nutrition Energy Gel, Big Apple
- Apple flavor is one everyone can enjoy
- Caffeine free for those with sensitive subject
- Amino acids helps to decrease muscle damage
- Does not have caffeine so if you need caffeine for those long runs, you may need to try something else
3. Jeunesse Reserve 30
- High in antioxidants which helps prevent premature aging
- Also helps boost the immune system
- Helps maintain a healthy metabolism
- It is a bit expensive compared to other gels
4. GU Original Sports Nutrition Energy Gel, Jet Blackberry
- Blueberry flavor is a unique flavor not too many gels have
- 40mg of caffeine give a great energy boost
- only 21g of carbs make it a good energy source for those who are diabetic
- Chance of headache for those not used to high caffeine intake
5. GU Roctane Ultra Endurance Energy Gel
- The variety of flavors in this one is a good selling point. You are going to find some you’ll like.
- The efficient absorption means lasting energy.
- High in sodium helps with those who tend to sweat out a lot of salt
- Some may find the consistency a bit thick
6. GU Original Sports Nutrition Energy Gel, Espresso Love
- If you are a coffee lover, this one is for you
- 40mg of caffeine will give you a huge energy boost
- It has amino acids to help decrease muscle fatigue
- Some may find the flavor a bit strong
7. GU Original Sports Nutrition Energy Gel, Chocolate Outrage
- It’s chocolate. Enough said.
- It’s the original. So therefore it has been proven over time to be effective
- It has been proven effective for both training and racing
- If you need to watch your sodium intake, this one has 50mg of it
8. Honey Stinger Organic Energy Gel
- Honey-based alternative to other gels
- Easier on the stomach than a lot of the other gels
- The texture and consistency is perfect for runners, It goes down easily
- No caffeine, so may not have the boost that others will
9. Huma Chia Energy Gel
- All natural energy gel made from organic food.
- 100% Gluten & dairy free, reducing the occurrence of upset stomachs
- Available in many Natural flavors like strawberries, lemonade, blueberries, Apples & Cinnamon, chocolate, Mangoes, Raspberries & Café Mocha
- Not all flavored variations contain an adequate amount of caffeine
10. PowerBar Power Gel 24 Pack
- Great taste. Strawberry/banana is a particular favorite of ours.
- One of the best tasting gels out there!
- Easy to open
- It has caffeine for that extra boost you need in a race
- Some felt the caffeine amount upset their stomach
Runners come in all ages, physical shape, etc and all run for various reasons. Some are serious marathon racers, while others are just recreational joggers looking to stay in shape. So a good gel for one may not be the right one for another. So to determine the top ten best energy gels really depends on who the runner is and what they are running for. One also must consider the individual tastes of the runner as well. For example, If one runner is a absolute lover of of peanut butter and another is not as big of a fan, then obviously what might be the best for one is not as great for the other. One runner may have a much more sensitive stomach than another, so that is also something that has to be considered as well.