10 Best Shoe Deodorizers Reviewed
There are a variety of shoe deodorizers on the market, everything from sprays to powders to shoe inserts to shoe drying machines to deodorant satchels and more. Because there’s such a variety of different features in these products, this article will only look at the deodorizing properties of each of the items, ranking them according to their effectiveness, ease of use, and cost.
1. Dr. Scholl's Odor X
Cornstarch, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Bicarbonate, Kaolin, Fragrance, & Chloroxylenol
Powder is easy to use, but can be messy.
The fragranced to cover odors, but some users may be irritated by the fragrance.
This is the best value out there. Cheap and effective. But do understand if you buy, it is a powder and may be a tad messy.
- Lasts for a long while
- Absorbs sweat
- Pleasant, albeit strong odor
- Fast Working
- Powder may be messy, even from container when closed.
- Isn’t effective for fungal infections and may exasperate them
2. Zederna Cedar Wood Inserts
This product is 100% natural. The cedar naturally inhibits bacteria causing odor.
Both wood and cotton is biodegradable and thus, environmentally friendly.
It is worth noting that sizing can be tricky.
This is an excellent value because the wooden shoe inserts are durable, natural, and eco-friendly.
- Made of 100% natural materials - cotton and wood
- No chemicals used in their production
- Actively Reduces Odors
- Helps avoid return of foot odor, athlete's foot and nail fungus
- Sizing for the inserts is a tad tricky. Order with care
- May not be effective for all foot odor
3. Rocket Pure Natural Mint Deodorizer
Water, peppermint, tea tree, eucalyptus leaf, and thyme oils, as well as a few natural preservatives (to prevent the all-natural ingredients from growing bacteria of their own)
For those people who are concerned about using or being exposed to chemicals, this product is made of all natural ingredients.
The company offers a 100% Satisfaction guarantee or your money back.
The reason why it’s not higher on this list is because of the fact that some users didn’t think it was as effective as it should be. One reviewer specifically stated that that the weird combination of the spray and foot odor ruined their shoes.
- Lifetime guarantee
- Pleasant peppermint odor/ refreshing on feet
- Made of natural ingredients
- Reasonable price.
- Some users thought the smell mingles with the smell and causes a funky odor/ covers, doesn’t eliminate smells
- Results are short-lived
4. Cedar Shoe Trees
Cedar Wood is a natural deodorizer. It contains natural oils that help to eliminate odors.
The form fitting shape of shoe stretches helps to keep the shoes in tip top condition.
Shoe stretchers are generally a good deal. They hold the shoes in shape, and impart a fresh cedar scent.
- Made of cedar wood
- Helps keep shoes formed when not in use, increasing the life of the shoes
- Many are adjustable
- Many have nodes to prevent common pressure points on the foot.
- Some of these stretchers can be cheaply made
- Not all of them are true to size
- Not all of them come with the pressure relieving nodes
5. Sof Sole Sneaker Balls
This product is small enough to go almost anywhere. It’s good for shoes, gym bags, and lockers and doesn't take up much room.
It effectively covers stinky shoe odors. However, some reviewers did not like the smell while other thought it did not last as long as they expected it to.
For what it is, it's a great deal.
- Small enough for small spaces
- Easy to use
- Reasonably priced
- Works well
- Lots of designs
- Only provides temporary relief for odors
- Not long lasting, depending on the application
- It’s spherical and tends to roll around.
6. Mini Moso Natural Charcoal Air Purifying Bag
The product is, according to its product description, nontoxic, fragrance free, and contains no chemicals. This is important for people who want to avoid being exposed to chemicals for whatever reason.
It is also able to be recycled by dumping the charcoal into the garden, instead of having it occupy space in a landfill.
However, the product maybe more of a good preventative measure as it only seems to remove moisture and not the odors themselves.
This is a great value for what it is able to do, with the added bonus of it being both nontoxic and environmentally friendly.
- Contains no chemicals, or odors for those sensitive to such things
- Environmentally friendly and recyclable
- Long-lasting - it's good for two years
- Refreshes by exposure to sunlight
- May not work as effectively as what the product claims.
- May not do anything if the shoes are already stinky.
7. StinkBOSS Shoe Deodorizer
This machine is electrical & mechanical which is important to know about if you’re not wanting to mess with devices that have cords and/or have moving parts.
Because it deodorizes with ozone, it doesn’t use chemicals or fragrances to remove odors.
This is a good deal for an enclosed deodorizing system. The reason why it’s not higher on the list is because of the cost, the mechanical parts tend to break down, and the machine itself produces a smell.
- One year limited warranty
- Uses mild heat (don’t have to worry about items catching afire)
- Environmentally friendly
- Refreshes shoes and gear (doesn’t simply mask smells)
- Stinks up the area with ozone
- Uses electricity
- Fan can break down
- May ruin certain types of sports gear
8. DryGuy DX Forced Air Shoe Dryer
The machine is quite large. The dimensions are 12” X 15” x 7.5”. This is something to consider for people who don’t have much space.
On the pricey side.
- Dries shoes and garments without ruining them
- Simple to use - Plug in and use
- Automatic shut-off
- Helps to eliminate odors due to moisture
- 1 year warranty
- Uses no chemicals or fragrances to deodorize
- Comes with extensions for boots
- Uses electricity
- May require more than one cycle to
- Bulky and heavy
- Prone to tipping
- Blows air around if all slots aren’t being used
9. Kendal Ultraviolet Deodorizer
It uses UV light to kill bacteria and fungus and has an automatic shut off.
The device itself is cheaper than some of the others on the market, but the replacement bulbs are quite expensive.
- Eliminates odors through UV light
- Auto Shut off
- Easy to use
- Kills fungus
- UV Light may harm eyes. Be careful when using.
- May not be as effective as advertised
- Shoes/boots may also need to be dry.
10. Kiwi Select Fresh Force
Ethanol/SD Alcohol 40, Isobutane, Butane, & Propane
Spray Container offers good coverage.
Some users are concerned about exposing themselves to chemicals and fragrances. Users also noted it had a strong smell.
A good value, but the container is small.
- It’s a spray container, so you’re not touching chemicals.
- Convenient, small size
- Works effectively all day
- Easy to use
- Works immediately
- Some users didn’t appreciate the smell.
- Too small of a container
There are a wide variety of deodorizing products on the market. All of them have pros and cons as to their use. Go through this list, carefully weighing the pros and cons to determine if any of these offered solutions are the right fit for you. If something partially works, you may need to use multiple products and/or take other steps in order to have what you’re using to be more effective.