Altra Intuition 4.5
Altra presents the Intuition/Instinct 4.5, a slight modification to the previously released Altra Intuition/Instinct 4.0. The Intuition/Instinct 4.5 is a zero drop running shoe that is said to provide its wearer a more natural stride. It is being touted as a shoe with extensive applicability. An “all-purpose,” shoe is how it is being regarded. The running shoe is presented with dual names because Altra prides itself on making sure that each model of their running shoes has specific features to account for the anatomical differences in men and women. The Intuition, for instance, is the women’s running shoe, while Instinct is the men’s running shoe. The difference between the male and female models is important but slight, so for the majority of the following review, they will be discussed as a singular entity.
- Midsole is very soft, but still provides adequate support
- Varied color palette
- Great price for such a quality shoe
- Great deal of support and stability
- Heel may be a little too stiff for some runners
- Lateral plastic slats may dig too far into the shoe and be too uncomfortable for some runners
- Does not include removable insoles
- I was a huge fan of the 1.5 and have ran them into the ground. All of the others were less than satisfactory but these are right there with the 1.5. They are actually a bit longer than the 1.5, which is great for my toes. They have moderate padding and the zero drop is great.
- These shoes are great for my martial arts training. I ended up taking the insoles out and they fit to size. They have a great heel grip and stop grab. Not as good for my over-pronation than my 4.0 but the width has helped my toes breath and move around better. The zero drop in really great , these are the only style shoe I have worn that doesn't give me joint and back pain.
- I am so happy that I was able to find my size with a generous amount of space for warmer socks and my toes to wiggle around. I wear a size 12 in womens and they are usually difficult to find anywhere else.
- These shoes are so durable. I wear them every day and stand and walk for hours and they have held up like tanks. I also have neuroma and I have a hard time with shoes these however, they have proven to be the best shoes for me. I am also able to use these at the gym and I have no pain. Great shoe Altra.
- These shoes are the best in toe box space and I have never worn a more comfortable shoe.
- All Altra's are super small so I always buy a size bigger. These are no exception. These have great cushioning and the toe box is so wide and comfy as always. These are the only brand I prefer for all my gym and daily needs.
- I have been buying Altras since I found out about them and they have always been the best. I love the roomy toe box. I am able to sue these all day at work, where I stand and walk over 10,000 steps and these are always comfort. I am never suffering from pain or fatigue at the end of the day. This model specifically is the best one out there for sure.
- These were perfectly fit to size for me. I usually wear the 2.5 but they were discontinued and these have held up to that standard. I am able to take these for my long walks and they give me all the support I need with no pain.
- I was really impressed with the arch support in these shoes. I have abnormally high arches and these give me the right amount all over.
- Altra always has such amazing toe room and these shoes in particular have epic support in the arches.
- I have to have a shoe with a wide toe area because of my neuroma. These shoes are just what I was looking for. They are beyond the comfort level that I was expecting and they are really durable. I also am glad they come in great colors, I may need to order another pair.
- For the price, these shoes are uncomparable. They are super comfortable, durable and the toe box is epic! I have never found a better shoe for the price.
- The cushion on impact is out of this world. The zero drop makes everything all into place without creating an imbalance. They are wide open in the toe box and this has helped me in both of my marathons. I recommend these shoes to any one needing a great shoe with tons of support and agility.
- I use these for my running and for my work shoes. They run a bit small so I ordered a size up and they fit like they are supposed to. These shoes hold up to everything. I am super happy with these.
- THE PRICE IS RIGHT! These shoes are nothing but a win! They have carried me over 3 continents and multiple terrain and have never caused any pain or damage to my feet. The toe box is wide, they are super sturdy and the arch support is killer. BUY THESE SHOES! You will not regret it.
- I have wide toes and thee shoes always give me the space I need without losing stability. They have relieved me of all my excruciating toe pain I used to get when I wore other shoes. I want to hug these and think them every time I take them off.
- I actually really love Altras. These however, they are wide in the heel and I cannot get them to tighten enough. I'm hoping they don't get worse as the padding wears down.
- Out of all the Altras I have bought over the years, these are by far the best ones. THey are stellar in comfort and design and I highly recommend them.
- These shoes stretched out my achilles, which has really helped me with my ficiilitis. I have never been able to wear shoes without orthotics until I found these I am now pain free and happy. They have just the right amount of cushioning and the zero drop is crucial to helping with the fitiicitis issue. I swear by the intuition model!
- I was a Torin fan for years and I was hesitant to change. However, after using these for a few weeks, I am forever changed. THese shoes have outdone anything I could have ever imagined. They are a little less cushy but they are still just as comfortable. The mesh allows so much air to run though the shoe and my feet stay nice and fresh. I am so very happy with these shoes.
- I was recommended these by my doctor; he was on point with these. They have a nice round toe box that is wide open, which gives me enough space to wiggle my toe without the shoe sliding around. They are by far the most comfort I have ever had in a shoe and I will never look back as long as Altra continues to make shoes like this.
- I have been waiting for them to replicate my favorite shoe, the 1.5, and they did it. This is the best design that Altra has ever made. I ordered a size larger as I always do and they ft great. They have so much support and comfort. It just cannot be beat.
- I did not have to break these in, they were perfect out of the box. Do you know how hard it is to find shoes like that? I have some jacked up feet and they are always in pain. Working and running with these shoes has changed my life. I feel like a brand new person.
- Took these out and went on a 3 mile walk instantly. I have a history of severe joint and foot pain but not with these. I was waiting for it to settle in when I was done, nope. I am over the moon that these are an actual thing. Comfort, style, stability, it is all there.
- These shoes are so breathable and light. I was thinking they might not last due to how light they seemed. I was completely wrong, these have handled so much carnage from me and I will be buying again. These have to be the best dang shoes I have ever worn. I am a huge fan and highly recommend.
- I find it had to order Altras due to size issues. This model was by far the closest to size for me. I really use my runners a lot and these have not held up at all, comparably. They are stiffer in the toe area and slip in the heel while being narrow in the arch. They started collapsing after a couple wears and the sides are all scrunched up. They are also heavier than I ever remember an Altras to be.
- One shoe was visibly a different size although they were marked the same and the padding in the ankle was over done. They kept rubbing and it made them very uncomfortable.
- These shoes feel like boats on my feet. They are heavy and they make my ankles and legs fatigue after I run. These have significantly changed my running time for the worst. I am not compatible with these shoes at all.
- These shoes eat my socks. It has to be the most annoying thing ever. The way the shoes fit doesn't allow you to wear socks properly. I love the look of the shoe and they are comfortable, but the sock eating is a deal breaker for me.
- I could not get used to the low heel on these. I mean I have heard nothing but raves on the zero-drop technology but it just isn't for me; way too low for my use. .
The women’s version of the shoe runs a bit small, so interested buyers are encouraged to try a half-size up. The women’s version of the shoe is equipped with more cushioning than the men’s. This is because the designers of this running shoe wished to better address the minute differences between men and women’s feet. To add a bit of clarity here, a woman will typically have a more narrow heel than a man, but a larger ball and ball girth than man. In her research study, biomechanist Kate Bednarski, M.A. found evidence to suggest that women who run competitively have higher arches than women who don’t. Altra made sure to pay attention and respect to these anatomical differences when constructing this shoe, and it shows.
The Altra Intuition/Instinct 4.5 is best suited for those runners who employ a more midfoot dependent stride. Heel strikers will find the responsivity to be lacking considerably. These shoes are equipped to handle 20-mile stints rather than multiple kilometer treks. Those seeking an Altra shoe with more propulsive qualities might want to consider looking at the Altra Escalante.
- FootPod design
- EVA foam
- A-bound technology