The Altra Intuition is a women’s neutral road running shoe. With a minimalist design for speed, it is the world’s first zero drop, cushioned, and female foot shaped running shoe. It was built from the ground up in order to correct over-striding and foot and knee pain that can sometimes be caused by larger heel-to-toe drops. It has a Footpod outsole pattern that matches the tendons and bones of the foot in order to make the shoe more flexible and increase responsiveness.
The Natural Ride System technology encourages natural motion with a zero drop and foot shape matching. The midsole uses standard EVA foam for cushioning and A-Bound for durability, protection, and responsiveness. It also comes with two insoles: Support with more cushioning and structure and a deeper heel, and Strengthen which is flatter in order to help the wearer strengthen the foot’s muscles and tendons.
In the upper is quick dry air mesh and minimal seams for breathability, a Drilex Premium Liner for moisture wicking, and an A-Wrap that gives a snug fit in the midfoot but is open in the front to the toes move freely. It also has an asymmetrical lacing system for a snug fit, with a loop to keep the tongue in place, and a heel claw system for support and stability.
If you are looking for a minimalist zero drop shoe that is comfortable and stylish, continue reading to see if the Altra Intuition is the right shoe for you.
- Comfortable fit
- Good for walking, running, and circuit training
- Nice look: some sites list it as a fashion shoe
- Toe box is shaped like a foot and has plenty of room
- Some testers said that their foot pain stopped after a few weeks of wearing this zero drop shoe
- Two removable insoles for strengthening and support, or it can be replaced with a gel insole or medical orthotic
- A few testers noted that the upper material hurt their foot due to being stiff
- Can take some time to break in for people who aren't used to zero drop shoes
- Sizes run slightly small
- Some testers noted that the heel is shallow or tight
- Footpod outsole matches the tendons and bones of the foot for improved flexibility and responsiveness
- Quick dry air mesh allows users to run in wet weather and has minimal seams to reduce the risk of irritation and hot spots
- Natural Ride System (NRS) uses a Zero Drop and matches the shape of a feminine foot (FootShape) for natural motion
- Support insole has structure, cushioning and a deeper heel
- Strengthen insole has less cushioning and is flatter in order to strengthen muscles and tendons
- A-Bound and EVA midsole offer durability, protection and responsiveness
- Drilex Premium Liner in the upper wicks moisture
- Asymmetrical lacing gives a snug fit and keeps the tongue in place
- Heel claw adds stability and support
- A-Wrap gives a snug fit around the midfoot and allows the toes to move freely