Hoka One One Mafate Speed 2
Known for their maximally cushioned running shoe line, Hoka One One has produced a decent update to the original Mafate Speed. The Hoka One One Mafate Speed 2 introduces a lighter version of the shoe, with improved traction, and an even more generously padded midsole. Like other Hoka offerings, the Mafate Speed features a thick midsole for maximum shock protection. Does the thick padding work well for the trails and is the shoe stable enough to be worn on uneven ground? It’s certainly a nice option for trail runners who are looking for a great deal of protection. Below you’ll find a detailed outline of the various components of the Mafate Speed 2 to help you to better understand what the shoe does right and where improvements could be made.
- Lighter than the previous version
- Better traction than the original
- Enhanced cushioning
- Breathable quick-drying upper
- Wide toe box
- Some reviewers found the cushioning was a bit hard
- Not suitable for narrow footed runners
- Poor ground-feel
- Poor heel traction
- According to many reviewers, bringing back the Mafate Speed was a great move by Hoka. Compared to some other Hoka options, these provide a good balance of great features.
- There are positive reviews for how these shoes perform on various types of terrain. From technical trails to soft dirt paths, these shoes keep feet comfortable and stable.
- The outsole is rigid enough to protect feet from rocks and roots.
- Although they are not the most lightweight trail runners on the market, many buyers are pleased with the balance of weight and protection.
- The laces are designed to not loosen during activity. Several reviewers claim they hold up well.
- With the correct size, these shoes can accommodate orthotics.
- Many buyers have used these shoes for extensive walking. After miles on their feet, they claim the comfort lasts.
- Mafete Speed 2s aren't waterproof, but several reviewers remark that they are water resistant and drain water quickly.
- Several reviewers who are over 50 say these shoes provide great stability and comfort which allows them to stay active.
- The support these shoes provide helps to keep ankles stable over uneven terrain.
- One reviewer noted that the tread is aggressive enough to work on snowy trails.
- Compared to Hoka Speedgoats, the Mafate Speed 2s have more width and height in the toe box.
- Although not specific to this shoe, many reviewers comment that they had great shipping and customer service from Hoka.
- These shoes get overall high ratings for their durability.
- A portion of positive reviews come from nurses and teachers who wear these shoes to work long hours on their feet.
- Although roomier in the toe box than some other Hoka shoes, the most common complaint about the Mafate Speed 2 is the narrow fit.
- Some buyers returned these shoes without reordering because they are not available in the width they need.
- For buyers who have had other Hoka One One shoes, finding the right size was a little tricky. The sizing seems to vary a little between different models. This is important to check before purchasing.
- There are a few reviewers who ask for more color options.
- Most reviewers don't have complaints about the look of these shoes, but there are some who do. These shoes have a unique design and style.
- One reviewer noted that the lacing system created some rub for him on longer runs.
- Compared to the original Mafate Speed, these don't quite live up to the reputation, according to some reviewers.
- Some buyers with wide feet or incorrect sizing experienced blisters on the sides of their feet near their toes. This also happened to a few people who claimed quick wear on the insole is to blame.
- If you have high arches, the laces may not accommodate a comfortable fit. Getting longer laces my help.
The shoe also features what is called an Active Foot Frame construction. This allows for the wearer's foot to fit deeper inside the shoe to avoid an unstable wear experience. There's no danger of floating atop the thick midsole and feeling wobbly in the Mafate Speed 2. The Meta Rocker construction of the shoe is another aspect of the design that ensures a smooth ride. True to its name, this geometry promotes a more forward foot strike by causing a rocking motion as the runner moves through the gait cycle.
The upper also features a debris screen to keep out unwanted crud and dirt from the trails. It'll help to keep your socks clean and ensure no pebbles find their way inside to hurt your precious feet.
Some reviewers mentioned that they felt the cushioning in the Mafate Speed 2 felt a bit harder than in the previous version. Wide-footed runners did appreciate the fit of the shoe. A wide toe box and generous width accommodate runners with a larger footprint. Narrow-footed runners might find this shoe too loose and may experience slippage, especially in the heel area.
The men's version comes in a colorful blue, black, red, and orange option and another color reminiscent of fire. For the women, there is a vibrant fuschia option available.
Ground feel is okay in the Mafate Speed 2. The Active Foot Frame construction does sink the foot into the shoe helping to bring runners closer to the earth but there's still a lot of cushioning in the way. That's the tradeoff for getting so much midsole padding. Runners didn't seem to find this was a huge downside, though. If you're looking for a shoe with a lot of cushioning there's some understanding that the connection to the earth will be minimal.
- Deep Flex Grooves in outsole
- Vibram brand Mega-Grip outsole lugs promote agility over even the rockiest terrain
- Hi-Abrasion protection featured in the outsole
- Super chunky CMEVA midsole bumps up the cushioning to the next level
- Meta-Rocker Construction encourages a forward foot strike and promotes a smooth ride
- Seamless upper construction
- Debris screen keeps dirt and rocks out of the shoe
- Regular lacing system
- Solid heel counter for stability and support
- Ortholite insole wards off bacteria and bad smells
- Active Foot Frame tech sinks foot inside to eliminate instability