New Balance 990 v4
The New Balance 990 v4 are a high-quality pair of shoes for the runner who is looking for superior support, stability and cushioning. The brand boasts thirty years of quality design and execution, and this model follows those same high expectations. These shoes utilize some of the best technologies to provide each runner with a uniquely pleasing experience.
Although this shoe comes in at the higher end of the pricing spectrum, runners commented again and again about the shoe’s durability and long lifespan. A combination of a durable leather pigskin upper combined with EVA and ENCAP midsole technology help keep this shoe from breaking mile after mile. For the overpronator, this is an ideal shoe. It provided extra cushioning and runner reported that it helped to provide additional arch support and eliminate foot, knee and hip pain they experienced from other shoes.
All of these features are designed and manufactured in America, so you can feel good about buying this shoe because you are supporting American businesses.
- ENCAP midsole, ACTEVA LITE and EVA foam make it very durable
- Offered in multiple sizes, wide options included
- Made in the USA
- Not very flexible and responsive
- Sizing is off - we recommend ordering a few sizes to find the best fit and return the others
- I have worn NB shoes before and never had a problem but my feet slip in these shoes and they feel a little sloppy. I tried tying the laces tighter and this has helped but it does make normal wear uncomfortable. I love the design though and it is a good looking shoe. I feel like they will last.
- These shoes are great. I've worn the 990's before and found them to be really sturdy but I've only had these a few weeks and they've started to come apart along the front of each shoe. Apart from this they do feel great on my feet and I like the subtle design. Because of this I have decided to hold on to them and not return them. They are comfortable and if I return them I am concerned I will receive another faulty pair.
- I'm an older gentlemen and so I do not use these shoes for running but do use them for walking and they have been great following my knee surgery. I love this sneaker. I can't say how they hold up for running but I have been walking in these during my recovery and I would really recommend them as a comfortable walking sneaker.
- This is without doubt the most comfortable running shoe I've bought in a long time. As a regular walker I have tried many other brands such as Nimbus and Kayanno and found them great but these offer greater support. I usually average around 3-4 miles a day when out walking so when my last shoes started to wear down I needed to find a replacement that would offer my aging feet and ankles some much needed support. The shoe is nice and lightweight, the mesh allows your feet to breathe and since wearing them my ankles haven't hurt once! I think this is due to them coming up slightly higher on the ankle than my previous sneakers. Although a little more expensive than I would usually buy I have to say I am so happy I did.
- I have been wearing NB shoes for many years and thankfully this new pair lives up to it's predecessors. These shoes offer great support for my bad knees and I love the fact that they are made in the US. I wear mine for light aerobic exercise so I don't know how they would be on a long run and you may need to stretch them out before wearing as I did. This could be because I needed to order a size up however.
- I have owned a few pairs of 990v4 NB shoes and I am really impressed with them. These shoes are made in the USA which will often sway me when buying products and these live up to the task. I wouldn't call myself a hardcore runner but for my needs these really hit the spot and keep my knees and ankles supported when I'm out speed walking.
- These shoes are great. I wasn't too sure about the Navy color but when I received them I was happy they didn't look as dorky as I thought they would. These are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. I like that they're made in the USA.
- I have been loyal to NB for many years and wearing the 990's for the last 15 years I would say. They feel perfect on the foot and they fit well but I just wish they weren't so expensive!
- There are so many great things about this shoe. They are breathable thanks to the venting and provide excellent grip. I've been wearing New Balance shoes for some years and whilst these appear to be in standard sizes be warned that once outside on different terrains they shoe can feel somewhat larger. To rectify this I would suggest ordering down a size (perhaps only a 1/2) so that they feel snug. Great shock absorption and a good looking shoe.
- I like the look of these shoes but do wish they had a better insole. Let's remember that these are not inexpensive shoes and after wearing them for just one day by feet hurt. I replaced the insole and they feel comfortable now.
- I find that these shoes do run a little small but this is often the case with athletic shoes so make sure you order a half size larger than your usual shoe. I like the look of this sneaker but I don't think they performed well when I took them out speed walking as my feet hurt when I returned home. I've been buying NB shoes for many years and never had a problem with them before.
- I've been a fan of NB for a long time and buying their shoes for year. I love that these are made in the US and NB shoes have always been comfortable on my wide feet. The new version just doesn't feel as cushioned as the previous versions. I would love to see the old version come back. This aside I do like the these and I will continue to buy New Balance shoes as they fit my feet so well.
- Having been a long time customer of NB I cannot recommend them enough. They really understand your feet and most importantly that not all feet are the same! Excellent if you need a wider shoe.
- After thinking long and hard over the slightly higher price tag I decided to give these shoes a try after suffering with bad knees. Make sure you order a half size smaller in these and they will be perfectly comfortable. The fact that they're made in the USA makes it even better. I will definitely buy these again.
- I have wide feet and find this shoes is the best. I have been buying them for years and I'm completely sold. I only wish the price was a little lower and a bit more arch support. I find these work great for most active sports and are perfect for long walks.
- Made in the USA these shoes provide both comfort and support. They seem to wrap around my narrow feet perfectly. I bought these in black but I love them so much I want to buy other colors! You can wear them dressed up or down and whilst I have seen some people complain about the high price tag, I think you get what you pay for. A great quality shoe and well worth spending the extra money.
- I bought these shoes after having an op on my foot and knew I would need something that would offer good arch support. I went to a NB store and had them fitted and I haven't been disappointed. I will say that the seam came apart on the first purchase but I called customer services and they replaced them. My foot has healed really well and now I can enjoy going out for walks and wearing them to work.
- These shoes are made in the US and I think this is how they have kept their quality. I have been buying New Balance shoes for a long time and have wondered if this is because they were made overseas. These shoes feel like they are true to size and they are worth the expense. I will continue to purchase from NB.
- I have wide feet so I need to ensure that any shoes I buy accommodate this. These sneakers are really comfortable and I liked them so much I already bought a second pair. These are the best running shoes I've ever had!
- These definitely deliver what they promise. I would definitely buy these again. I have recently started exercising more and I was on the lookout for a comfortable well fitting shoe. These shoes offer good support for my ankles and I noticed a difference straight away when I first wore them.
- Firstly let me say that these shoes run pretty big and I didn't find them comfortable at all. Also I think for a running shoe it is quite heavy and they lack the cushioning you will find in other brands such as Saucony or Asics. It's a good sturdy running shoe but I guess a good running shoe is subjective and what suits me may not suit someone else. I feel there are better shoes out there offering greater comfort.
- So let down but these shoes. I have been buying this series for a while now and I was always impressed with how they performed but these arrived and set to be so much bigger than the size I would usually wear. I also find it odd that they offer virtually no support for my arches. As I said I have been buying the 990 series for a long time and never had any complaints before. These felt large and sloppy.
- I only wore these for a few hours when I went to the gym and I feel really let down. They started making weird noises after one use. I have been buying the 993's for some time and never had any issue. Disappointed in the quality.
- These shoes are way too big for me. There is also a lack of cushioning in the which makes them feel uncomfortable. Also they felt so narrow on my feet. Sadly I returned them straight away,
- I made sure I read the reviews on these shoes before buying and as the reviews were favourable I went right ahead and bought a pair. Now I have returned them. After walking around in these shoes I could feel that they have been poorly assembled. I took them off and looked inside and could see that underneath the inner sole there were lots of ridges and bumps. This should not be the case with a good shoe. I have worn many other versions of this shoe and have been buying New Balance for many years and not just shoes for running. I knew these shoes were going to cause pain so I had to return them.
- Unfortunaltey I was disappointed with these shoes. It's the sizing issue that seems to happen a lot. I would have kept them if they had fit me properly but they feel larger than other brands and for the price I paid I don't feel the quality was up to standard. It's a shame as I really like the fact they are made in the US.
In addition to these new features, New Balance has added the 3M Reflectivity feature to the upper which helps protect the runner in low visibility areas. The upper of this shoe is designed to provide the runner with a comfortable and also breathable fit.
This shoe is designed for the road or track, but because of the blown rubber outsole, it can also be used on mild offroad trails. Runners mentioned that because of the extra durability of the shoe, they felt confident taking this model on their long runs during their marathon training. In addition, many runners suggested that these are great shoes to use on the treadmill.
- ACTEVA LITE foam in the midsole
- EVA (Ethyl Vinyl Acetate) midsole core
- Lace Keeper tongue design
- Blown Rubber outsole