Nike Free RN 2018
Years ago, several employees at Nike became interested in the fact that the track team at Stanford trained barefoot in the grass. Running barefoot allow these athletes’ feet to move naturally, expanding and contracting without the hindrance of a bunch of rubber and plastic around their feet. In many ways, this seemed like the ideal running workout. Of course, running on grass is extremely limiting. And, for a number of different reasons, most people can only run barefoot if they are on a soft, flexible surface.
The employees at Nike were inspired to create a shoe that mimicked the experience of running barefoot in the grass, while still allowing runners to put miles in on hard surfaces, such as asphalt and cement. The fine mesh upper of the Nike Free RN 2017 puts little pressure on the top of the foot (making it almost feel like you’re barefoot), and has many small openings that allow air flow for breathability and comfort. The outsole is made of soft foam, with small amounts of rubber at the toe and heel to aid in traction without adding much extra weight. And the “cuts” along the outsole allow the shoe to move with the runner’s foot, making it as if you really are sprinting through soft grasses like the Stanford team — even if in reality you’re just jogging down the neighborhood sidewalk. Given this lightweight, minimalist comfort, as well as the sleek, low-profile design, the Free RN 2017 is a shoe that will appeal to anyone looking for naturalistic, minimalistic, and stylish footwear to complete their workout and casual wardrobe.
- Lightweight, minimalist design mimics barefoot running
- Cushioned more than other “barefoot” running shoes
- Breathable, flexible, and comfortable
- A variety of fun color combinations
- Can be worn as running shoe or stylish city walking shoes
- Lightweight, minimalist design means it’s not super durable
- Stones and other debris can get caught in outsole
- I'm glad that these have been a solid upgrade. I can feel my feet on the ground. They are light without being cheap material. These are a great product Nike, do not change them like you have the others.
- I got these shoes back in April as a gift and they are great. By far the best running shoes I’ve had. However, I have the white pair and have notice how the toe easily becomes dirty after going for a neighborhood run. Do you or anybody have suggestions as how to clean the white pair?
- I walk a lot because I hate running. These have the right amount of cushion and comfort for my speedy walks. They are supportive and great on a casual day too.
- I like the width they have compared to other Nikes. My feet are able to comfortably move around without pain when I am exercising.
- They do not look like the old style but they are just as comfortable. They fit true to size, unlike the narrow shoes Nike usually makes. These are the best Nike trainers out there.
- The cushion is pillowy soft and I wasn’t sure if I had a shoe on. They are super light and flexible. These are a great shoe.
- These were very comfortable and fit snug to my feet. I love the bounce back that I get when I run and the are super manageable.
- I will be using these for my short distance runs. They are a little thin in the souls but they are still very comfortable. They are extremely light and I love it.
- These are a great shoe from Nike. They are light and cushy yet stable enough to run distance. I like how breathale they are too. I highly recommend these shoes.
- I have a wide foot and find it hard to fit into nice shoes. However, these fit great. They are well supported and have great cushioning.
- I am very happy with this shoe. It is super comfortable but I would recommend going up a half size or so, they run small.
- These have some sort of design on the bottom that picks up pebbles, so I would not wear them in the woods or on dirt roads. But, they are very light and very comfy. I want other colors too. I would recommend these shoes.
- These are most definitely an upgrade from the last model. They are slim and fit my foot snug. They have a better heel structure and they tongue is attached and looks better on.
- I love the soft grey color they offer, I have a few colors, this is my favorite I like that it feels like i do not have shoes on when I am in these. These look great with shorts and have excellent comfort. They do pick up small rocks though so be warned.
- I get a great bounce and they have solid support when I am running. I have been sticking to this style since the first model. They are just fantastic made shoes.
- I like the easy slip on and the super cushion insides. The are very lightweight and I own probably 5 different pair of this style. I absolutely love them.
- These shoes seem to have solved every problem I have with my feet. All other shoes created real pain in my heels. I am able to take these babies for 5 mile runs no problem-- usually on the treadmill though.
- These are very light way and have a great thin profile. I went up a size bigger and they are still tight but I am ok with that.
- These aren't as durable as most shoe, but most Nikes aren't. These are great for training and running. They are very light and don't give me ankle fatigue. They fit like a glove.
- I recommend these shoes to anyone looking for a great, comfortable, lightweight, airy, snug shoe. Don’t miss out, they are the best.
- These surprised me and fit to size. I love the soles and the bounce. I really couldn't ask for a better shoe.
- I use thee for all my workouts, I like to switch it up. They also look great wearing casual. Great colors and the design is slick. These are probably the best designed Frees yet.
- I like the sock like feel on these. The upper mesh is real cozy and the tongue is attached for a great slip on style feel. These are way better than last years model. Great upgrade Nike.
- These fit my feet and have great shoes. I own a lot of Nikes and these are my everyday gym and street shoes.
- I thought these would be the same as the ones I bought in the past, nope. after a few days they started to flatten out too much. And after a few weeks, no support at all. Now, these are a pain in my feet. Horrible design..
- I used these to just walk around a theme park for a few days and these left jurassic blisters on my feet. I was so upset because these were all I had and they fooled me. Tey were comfy when I put them on at home. It seems like the more you wear them the crappier they get in comfort.
- I like the comfort and design of the shoe. However, these were not made for my style of running. They grab every bit of debris under the shoe. It creates a huge stability problem for me, or for anyone I would think. These are only made for track I feel. They are also not as breathable as other Nikes.
- I’ve owned so many Nikes and these are the worst. They have no support and after a few wears, the sole is non existent.
- I wear orthotics and have usually used this style shoe. Well now they have changed the sole design and it is horrible. I need the extra stability and these tend to pick up rocks and pebbles, which really throws me off.
- I only wear these in the house now. They are horribly designed and pick up all sorts of things when you walk outside. They aren't good for much else.
- Mimics the natural movement of the foot
- Flexible and responsive
- Provides lightweight foam cushioning
- Breathable and comfortable
- Sleek, low profile design stylish enough for all-day casual wear