Running News Recap: Week of May 14, 2018
Here’s your running-related weekly news recap for the week of May 14. From shoe company news to interesting and weird happenings in the world of running, we’ve got you covered.
Adidas Steps Into the World of Recycled Clothing
In 2017, Adidas, in partnership with Parley for the Oceans, made big waves selling a million pairs of recycled-plastic shoes. Adidas is ultimately aiming to reduce and eventually eliminate the amount of new plastic used in its product line. This will now include a new collection of outdoor clothing and footwear. The lineup is simple, stylish, and of course, eco-friendly.
Adidas Being Investigated
A workplace accident has shone a negative spotlight on Adidas. The accident occurred earlier this year at Kanye West’s office and involved a 3D printer severely injuring an employee’s foot. A 3D printer caused an injury to the employee’s foot. A medical airlift was required to get the patient promptly treated. The investigation into potential workplace violations is ongoing but Adidas faces stringent fines should a violation be discovered. There’s some speculation that the employee may have had to undergo an amputation because of the incident.
Smoker Turned Runner Eyes Ambitious Running Goal
Think being a lifelong smoker hurts your chances of ever getting into running, let alone tackling a marathon? Think again. A smoker for more than three decades, Dan Buckle is now preparing for Canada’s Scotiabank Blue Nose Marathon. An event that takes place in Nova Scotia. But, Buckle isn’t just going to run the measured course of 26.2 miles (or 42.2 kilometers). He plans to run 58 kilometers. A kilometer for each year of his life. He’ll be running the extra mileage before the race start and will be accompanied by some of his running buddies. For everyone who thinks that they are too old to start something new, Dan’s story is evidence to the contrary.
Medical News: Fitbit’s Heart Rate Accuracy
A recent study out of Italy and the UK shows that Fitbit’s Charge 2 device consistently underestimate heart rate. The difference in beats per minute was shown to be as high as 30 bpm. There’s still more research needed to determine why the accuracy was off and what might help improve accuracy. Researchers also noted that a comparison of heart-rate enabled trackers was in the cards for future studies.
Lazarus Lake’s One Man Trek in the U.S.A.
The Barkley Marathon’s race director Lazarus Lake began his journey across the U.S.A. last week. On May 10, he set off on a journey to cross the country via Route 20 from Rhode Island to Oregon. On May 13, the eccentric walker made his way into and through Boston, crossing parts of the famed Boston Marathon route.
Guinness Book of World Records: Joggling
Think putting one foot in front of the other to get into a running rhythm is tough? Imagine running and juggling at the same time. Zach Prescott, a student from Boston University, recently broke the joggling world record. (Yes, there’s a record for that.) He didn’t just run and juggle, though. He managed to run a 4:43.20 mile while keeping his balls in the air.
Kathrine Switzer Gives Inspiring University Commencement Address
A pioneer in the world of women’s running, Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to officially run the Boston Marathon, delivered an inspiring commencement address to Syracuse University’s 2018 graduates. Switzer, who graduated from the University herself, spoke about her famed Boston, encouraging students to find ways to fight injustice and make positive changes in the world.
Ultrarunner Bob Hayes Passes Away at the Age of 91
Earlier this week, the Missoulian reported that Montana runner Bob Hayes passed away at the age of 91. Hayes, a WWII veteran, was well-known in the Montana running community and a prolific runner.
Mark Your Calendars! 2019 Boston Registration Opens September 10th
Registration for the 2019 edition of the famed Boston Marathon will open on September 10, 2018. Those with faster qualifying times will get priority during registration. The 2019 event will take place on April 15. Good luck to all those who seek to qualify for and run the event!
Under Armour Being Sued Over MyFitnessPal Data Breach
If you’re a regular user of MyFitnessPal, you may be aware that the app owned by Under Armour had a data breach earlier this year. In California, one MyFitnessPal user is suing UA over the breach.
Track Crash in Arizona
This past Tuesday, training at a track turned ugly in Arizona. French runner, Yoann Kowal’s coach rode his bicycle into a group of walkers also on the Flagstaff track. The whole thing was caught on video and has made the rounds online. The 24-second cringe-worthy shot initially shows a seemingly empty track then pans to a busy section filled with people. Oddly, the bike riding coach never seems to slow down, and chaos ensues.
- Adidas sold 1 million pairs of sneakers made from ocean waste in 2017 — now the company is introducing a line of recycled clothing and taking steps to become even more sustainable, Online Business News Publication ,
- Former smoker to run his age at Blue Nose Marathon, News Publication ,
- BREAKING NEWS Mike Jones Swears He's Not Hating On Quavo Anderson .Paak Thinks Meek Mill Should've Met With Donald Trump #DXHitList: Lil Baby, Tyga & Juice WRLD Top This Week's Spotify Playlist A$AP Bari Reportedly Arrested For London Hotel Sexual Assault Tekashi 6ix9ine Reportedly Seeking Snoop Dogg's Help To Clear West Coast Beefs MOST DISCUSSED NEWS Today This Week This Month 24 Tekashi 6ix9ine Reportedly Seeking Snoop Dogg's Help To Clear West Coast Beefs 19 Hip Hop Reacts To Fatal Santa Fe High School Shooting 6 Lil Adidas Under Investigation Following Accident At Kanye West's Office, Hip Hop News ,
- Eccentric race director on a one-man trek across America, Canadian Trail Running Magazine ,
- Joggling world record broken by BU student, Canadian Running Magazine ,
- Kathrine Switzer Tells Syracuse Graduates to “Be Fearless”, Runner's World Magazine ,
- The storied life of Bob Hayes ends at 91, Newspaper ,
- Under Armour Hit With Suit Over MyFitnessPal Data Breach, Law360 ,
- Runner’s bike-riding coach causes crash on Arizona track, Canadian Running Magazine ,