While major companies take the credit, it’s often a smaller organization that’s designing the most dynamic features of their products. Such is the case with the Nike SportWatch, which was actually designed by TomTom. While Nike got the credit for that innovative fitness tracker, it was actually TomTom that put the time, design, and innovation in that sports watch. The company, which had first made its mark building GPS devices for cars, has now entered the fitness tracker market, creating the TomTom Runner.
This GPS sports watch designed for runners seeking to track their performance either on the road or in the gym. With its easy-to-read display, the TomTom Runner is a fitness tracker that provides accurate real-time information for the runner to monitor their performance. Focusing solely on running (a Multisport watch is also available), the TomTom Runner provides the user with two options of activities to monitor: Run and Treadmill.
With a built-in accelerometer and sensors that work both on an open run or on a treadmill, the TomTom Runner provides real-time data on distance, pace, stride length, lap time, and calories burned. A Bluetooth Smart support can also sync this fitness tracker with other devices, such as a heart rate strap. This activity monitor is a stand-alone product that frees the runner from having to carry their smartphone with them to sync the data being collected by the Runner. With an intuitive menu and easy to understand stat feedback, the runner can easily monitor, track, and compare their running times, routes, and performance without the hassle of navigating a complex interface.
This affordable fitness tracker, with its sleek, lightweight design and accurate data collection, is a great starter fitness tracker for runners who want a straightforward sports watch that gives them the performance data they’re looking for in one activity: running.
- Accurate GPS system that records and tracks the runner’s progress, providing real-time updates and results
- Its simple menu system and straightforward use provides the runner a fitness tracker solely for the purpose of tracking and recording running data
- Lightweight, simple design makes it only slightly larger than a regular watch
- TomTom Sports mobile app provides a larger overview of compiled data to aid in performance planning and training purposes
- Waterproof up to 165 feet/50 meters
- Noticeable drift in distance measurement when used on a treadmill
- Not a particularly versatile fitness tracker
During a run, total time and distance of the run are displayed at the top of the screen. Using the external analog buttons, the runner can scroll through various dataset options - including duration, distance, pace, calories, stride length, time of day, and even heart rate - that the TomTom Runner calculates using the accelerometer in conjunction with the GPS. Visual feedback within these training modes provides the runner with feedback on their current status within their present goals, while the Runner also keeps track of and notifies the runner with audio and vibrating alerts when a milestone occurs (or if the runner falls behind in pace).
Ease of Use
- Highly accurate GPS capabilities for accurate distance and speed recording and mapping
- Lightweight, minimalist design that’s only slightly larger than a regular watch
- Affordable price that reflects its straightforward purpose
- Works great in conjunction with the useful TomTom Sports mobile app, which provides performance analysis, personal insights, 24/7 activity tracking, activity summary, social sharing, and more.