Best Men’s Running Underwear Reviewed and Tested
When it comes to runner’s clothing, we have one mantra: comfort.
When choosing appropriate clothing, it is important to consider the clothes visible to the public as well as what lies underneath. While running, men require underwear that is breathable and provides support, while also reducing chafing and irritation. Seasonal changes will also affect your choice; lightweight summer gear may not provide enough insulation during the cold winter months.
On our list, you can find high quality underwear that is worth trying. Let’s check them out!
- Saxx Kinetic Long Leg Boxer Brief
- Under Armour Original Series 3″ Boxerjock
- Adidas Men's Performance Sport Climalite Boxer Brief
- ExOfficio Men’s Give-N-Go Boxer
- Tesla Men's Compression Shorts
- ASICS Men’s Asx Boxer Briefs
- Nike Pro Combat Core Compression Six-Inch Short 2.0
- Saucony Men's Windproof Boxer Brief
- New Balance Men's Dry Fresh Boxer Briefs
- Jockey Performance Midway Brief
- Criteria Used for Evaluation
- Other Factors to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 10 Picks
1. Saxx Kinetic Long Leg Boxer Brief
- Quick drying nylon/spandex mix
- Ergonomic fit
- Has a soft mesh inner
- Constructed with Flat-lock stitching to prevent irritation
- Moisture wicking waistband
- The tend to ride up, according to a few customer reviews
Going back to our mantra the Saxx Kinetic long leg briefs are extremely comfortable. They are more comfortable than your average brief due to a spacious three-dimensional pocket, or pouch, in the front section that wraps around your junk, keeping everything in place during high intensity activities. There are no seams in or around the crotch area, essentially eliminating the potential for chafing or irritation. Another notable feature of these briefs is that they are are a relatively snug, long fit with a bit of support extending well down the leg.Read more
- Material: Nylon/Spandex mix
- High performance, boxer brief with ergonomic pouch
- Contour fit design for a comfortable and supportive fit
- Soft, mesh inner slings helps keep everything in its place
- Flat-lock stitching, no chafing problems here
- Sturdy but smooth feeling, 1.75″ moisture wicking waistband
Protip: Excellent choice for winter running and for athletes who suffer from quadricep related injury problems.
2. Under Armour Original Series 3″ Boxerjock
- 100% synthetic fibers
- Contains Under Armour's patented HeatGear material
- Breathable construction
- Manages moisture very well
- One review stated that they started to rip, just under the waistband, after some use
On the lower end of the price spectrum, the Original Series Boxerjock from Under Armour is a great way to get higher end performance without paying the price. Beyond the economic advantages these boxer briefs have a three-inch inseam and extremely lightweight fabric which keeps them from committing the cardinal sin of boxers, riding up. With an extra-breezy front mesh panel you aren’t going to get a whole lot of protection from these underwear, but what you will get is a comfortable fit and an extremely high moisture absorption rate.Read more
- Constructed from 100% synthetic Fibers
- Patented HeatGear fabric is light on the skin
- Has an articulated mesh fly panel for superior breathability
- 4-way stretch fabrication allows for a perfect mixture of support and mobility
- Under Armour’s Moisture Transport System wicks sweat & dries fast
- Performance grade athletic waistband
Protip: If you are one of those runners who likes to go commando but don’t want to take the associated risks, these are a great choice. Often times they feel as if you are wearing nothing at all.
3. Adidas Men's Performance Sport Climalite Boxer Brief
Users said that they’re extremely comfortable
Many colors to choose from
They are very lightweight
Some users were disappointed with the durability
There are many well-known brands on our list and one of them is Adidas. Climalite Boxer Brief were specially designed to adapt very fast to the changes of temperature. The material is very soft in touch, there’s great temperature regulation so you stay cool even if it’s very hot. This underwear is also breathable enough even during warmer days. These boxers will be great for providing support and fit to athletes. The special construction prevents riding down and the bunching is also reduced. Users praised the product for quick drying of the fabric.Read more
- There’s 91 % of Polyester and 9 % of spandex
-The underwear is very elastic and doesn’t restrict your movement
- The stitching is very smooth. There’s no chafing
- The elastic waistband for more comfort
- There are two pairs per pack
Although they can be used in summer, most runners enjoyed much more in the winter autumn season.
4. ExOfficio Men’s Give-N-Go Boxer
- Easily washable
- Aegis Microbe Shield anti-bacterial treatment
- Made mostly of quick drying nylon
- Do not constrict with movement
- They tend to bunch up, as they are looser fitting
Built to perform at a high level with minimal maintenance the Give-N-Go Boxers from ExOfficio are another good choice for runners. Made with Aegis Microbe Shield incorporated material, these underpants are well suited for a hard run or anything you can throw at them really. They also feature a functional fly making access a breeze. Made from high grade materials, these will last for quite a while and will certainly not turn into next year’s throwaways.Read more
- Quick-drying, easy to wash allowing you to pack lighter if traveling
- Treated with Aegis Microbe Shield fights bacteria like no other
- Moisture-wicking, light, and breathable
- Constructed from 94 percent nylon, 6 percent Lycra
- Made in the USA
- Terry elastic backed, easily maneuverable fly
Protip: Be absolutely sure you size these right, the elastic can be tight so go up a size if in doubt. Want to wash them? Rinse, soap, and roll out wait for a few minutes and voila!
5. Tesla Men's Compression Shorts
Users praised the shorts for reduced chaffing
Very attractive price
Because of the price, the durability is a also a little bit weaker
Well, it will be definitely the last time you complain about the lack of colors when it comes to underwear. Tesla has more than 30 colors to choose from but that’s not the most important. To be honest these can be worn as underwear or as a normal shorts. The fabric contains of polyester and spandex. The big amount of elasticity will provide full range of movement. These boxers will be best for hot summer days. The fabric releases the hit and wicks the moisture in the proper way so you can enjoy fresh and dry fit. These are compression shorts but they don’t provide so much compression. They have tight fit, great if you need support but don’t want anything too tight. Some users said that they’re stretchy as for compression shorts.
The shorts have very fair price, you will ned to spend a little more than 10 dollars on them. These are one of the least expensive on our list.
- Two way air circulation design
- The shorts feature UPF 50+ sun protection
- Non abrasion material
It’s advisable to order one size up as these run small.
6. ASICS Men’s Asx Boxer Briefs
- Made with a quick drying nylon/poly blend
- Seamless construction reduces irritation spots
- Anti-microbial properties help control odor
- Secure, but not too tight
- One review though they could be a bit longer
What better way to ensure that you get the best underwear for running than to buy underwear from a running specific company? ASICS Asx Boxer Briefs offer up an advanced support system engineered just for the type of stresses running puts on the body. They also include innovative seamless technology that make the pouch and waistband soft and comfortable. The price is fairly reasonable, and the value you get in return for these briefs is exceptional. Take a look.Read more
- Mix of 92% Nylon 8% Poly blend
- Customized seamless tech built in for variable levels of compression
- Designed athletic support system, hugs the body comfortably
- Plush knitted gusset (or to say another way crotch piece)
- 3 inch inseam
- Avoid the stink: controls odor effectively with anti-microbial properties
Protip: Flashy details down the exterior of both legs make these a comfortable and surprisingly stylish choice in underwear.
7. Nike Pro Combat Core Compression Six-Inch Short 2.0
Waist band bunches up
A great combination of the Dri-FIT material with the mesh ventilation, enhances comfortability and keeping the athlete dry during the whole workout session. They also offer a fit that is both secure and flexible, something appreciated by many athletes. The fits allows for wide range of movements.The elastic waistband provides a snug fit to the body and comfortable. They are the best shorts that offer an ultra feel. They are one of the best underwear for men who are involved in running, they can be worn even when not involved in any running, other sporting activities like cycling can enjoy the comfort of this amazing underwear.Read more
-Comfortable flat waistband for improved wear
-Specialized sweat wicking material
-Compression design to improve performance and circulation
-Extended length to prevent issues with chaffing and irritation
Perfect for layering and a great choice for runners who need a little assistance with sweat management.
8. Saucony Men's Windproof Boxer Brief
Wind and waterproof protection
Double crotch gusset
Good wick factor
Protective and comfortable
Some runners prefer non-compression boxers
You get a comfortable compression style FIT, The fabric wicks away problematic sweat quickly to keep you dry, these have a designed in inseam at 6 inches to keep you well covered. A good pair of boxers for runners, durable, comfortable, good wick capability and sure to keep you warm.Read more
-You get, Polyester at 100% for a waterproof protective membrane. PowerKnit at LX 87% and Stretchy Spandex-Flexshell at 13%
-A nice feeling for secure FIT due to the compression and these are worn comfortably under running shorts/pants.
-The front panel is fully wind-proof for secure protection from the cold, the four directional stretchy fabric ensures high wick performance, will dry out very fast to ensure you are comfortable.
-Designed in flat seam systems and a well-fitted double-crotch-gusset ensure support with chaffing.
Very comfortable and protective, these windproof boxers are ideal for runners on those cold chilly windy days.
9. New Balance Men's Dry Fresh Boxer Briefs
They retain the original shape even after many washes
Some users didn’t like the colors
New Balance is the next big name on our list with great underwear to offer. This product will be perfect for warmer days as the material is thin. Thanks to this, the breathability is much higher and perfect for days when the temperatures are above 20 degrees. There’s also a fly opening.
This isn’t seamless construction but to be honest, there aren’t many seams in this design. The whole construction is,, no ride”. The boxer stay in place, there’s no riding down. Users said that they’re also stretchy. The lightweight four way stretch provides more flexibility, nothing restricts your movements. The waistband is wide enough and doesn’t irritate your skin. This underwear wicks the moisture very fast, runners could stay dry for the whole time of wearing.
- This is a blend of Polyester( 87%) and Spandex ( 13%)
- There are mesh panels for more breathability
- The boxer have special properties that prevent the growth of bacteria and there isn’t any unpleasant odor.
You need to be careful with the sizing chart. For some users, it was very hard to find the right size.
10. Jockey Performance Midway Brief
- Reasonable price
- The microfiber material is breathable
- Resists odor
- Moisture wicking properties
- A bit constrictive
At a glance these briefs from Jockey might not appear all that different than their plain cotton predecessors. The fabric of the performance midway brief has just enough polyester and Lycra to wick moisture like a more synthetic material. Factor in a really smart design — which includes an H-fly (providing no-gap support) — a fit that feels tailored and you’ve got a winning combination.Read more
- Underwear Style Jockey 8051
- Microfiber performance Midway® brief offers up premium performance and mid range pricing
- Contour fitted H-fly provides support and a customized fit
- Breezy microfiber fabric wicks away moisture, making sure that you stay cool and dry
- Odor control technology allows you to reuse with confidence
Protip: Great for all day use. Probably our number one choice to wear to the office and then straight out onto the trail.
Criteria Used for Evaluation
Fabrics offer different degrees of strength and durability.
The fabrics used in various products differ from one manufacturer to another depending on several factors. Fabrics offer different degrees of strength and durability. Overall though, the choice comes down to personal comfort.
Fabrics can be organized into two groups:
The Synthetic Fibers: Synthetic fibers make up 90% of runner’s underwear. Examples include: nylon, polyesters, and polyester-spandex blends. Synthetics tend to be more durable and lightweight to keep runners dry and fresh during their run, and are the preferred choice of most athletes.
The Natural Fibers: Natural fibers, like cotton, provide good stretch to the wearer during natural body movement. However, they do not wick away sweat as effectively, and are less durable and need to be replaced more often.
Below are some of the fabrics that are used in making sporting and running underwear:
Combed Cotton: is a popular fabric in underwear for cyclists since it is very good at preventing chafing.
Coolmax: is a polyester, wicking fabric which leaves a runner feeling dry and cool. It is also resistant to fading, wrinkling, and shrinking when washed; best suited for outdoor training.
Egyptian Cotton: is a very popular type of cotton fabric, that recently has been made to be more affordable. It is considered one of the softest fabrics to provide maximum comfort to the wearer.
Italian Nylon: incorporates Lycra for extra stretching, the fabric offers athletes abrasion resistance and a four-way stretch. It is mostly preferred by the endurance athletes, because of its strength and antimicrobial properties that contribute to healing open wounds.
PIMA Cotton: is a cotton fabric which grows in Australia and the US. Some manufacturers have created PIMA cotton with combinations of Egyptian and American cotton. The American fabric adds extra strength and durability, while the Egyptian provides added comfort to reduce irritation.
Spandex: is a very popular from of polyurethane. Its compression capabilities make it one of the most loved fabrics by athletes, especially those involved in cycling and running activities. It’s lightweight and strong, but provides no absorbent capability. This is the best option for athletes who experience allergic reactions to latex
The many styles in men’s underwear come with different levels of support and insulation depending on your running climate.
The many styles in men’s underwear come with different levels of support and insulation depending on your running climate.
Below are some of the styles of men’s underwear.
Boxers: offer a low level of support due to the loose fit, and are made from materials that offer sweat-wicking abilities. They offer good air flow and do not hold in heat, and prevent chafing during your run
Boxer Briefs: combine the length of boxers and the tight fit of briefs. They offer more firm support than boxers, and more insulation to hold in heat. They are made from very lightweight materials that have compression abilities.
Jock Strap: are mostly worn by athletes who are involved in high-intensity sporting activities. They have a belt that is elastic and a pouch that offers protective support. They provide very little insulation to the runner.
Support Briefs: utilizes the comfortability offered by the usual briefs and the protection that comes from a jockstrap. This design offers a very high degree of support and offers above average insulation for cold climates.
Compression Shorts: provides excellent support due to its adjustable pouch. Its design always enables the runner to be cool and dry during the workout. Its design and length have enhanced insulation.
It is important to have your proper measurements taken before making your size selection.
Underwear should not too tight, as this will restrict blood flow to the area, causing rushes or chafing. However, loose fitting underwear will not provide adequate support needed for protection, due to friction from the extra fabric and the body.
It is important to have your proper measurements taken before making your size selection. All underwear designs are determined by the size of the waist, and manufacturers often provide a sizing chart for you when you are shopping. If you are shopping in-store, it is also encouraged to try a few styles on before selecting.
Other Factors to Consider
Most sporting activities are affected by a change in weather conditions. If it's hot and dry, select a lightweight boxer, made of breathable fabric with wicking capabilities. If its a cold and wet, opt for a style with more insulation and a closer fit like compression shorts.
Frequently Asked Questions
The fabric of your underwear is very important. It not only affects how comfortable you will be while working out but determines your health too. There are numerous types of fabrics used in making running underwear. The material needs to draw sweat away from the body to protect against infections and chafing, and the overall fit must be comfortable-- not too tight and not too loose. There are numerous types of fabrics used in making running underwear.
The material used in making the inner garments must have a sweat-wicking ability as this will protect the body from possible cases of chaffing and skin infections. The fabric should also enhance a perfect fit that is neither too tight nor too loose.
To prevent genital skin infections or jock itch, it’s important to wear new and clean underwear. Most standard underwear is not designed with features to deal with this challenge but with sport incorporated technology, sporting underwear is able to keep you dry by just wicking away all the sweat from your body as you run.
Yes, it’s very much “allowed” to skip wearing your running underwear. Research shows that there are several advantages of going commando, especially when you are working out. If your outer sportswear to be a compression tight then you don't need a running underwear. Those athletes who have skin allergies or experience skin irritations when they wear an underwear should skip wearing one.
The underwear will not only provide comfort and support it will also make sure that you remain dry during the whole running experience. This is achieved by the wicking effect that most sporting underwear has. Another thing its light and wind resistant so it won't affect you negatively in the race. It will be more advantageous to have an underwear in a marathon to keep you dry.
Having a clean pair of underwear is very important. Clean underwear means you are comfortable during your workout and it keeps you healthy from any infections. Old tattered underwear isn’t something you want to show up during your workout sessions. It’s advisable to change your sporting underwear after every 6-9 months of use. But if the elastic bands and the leg bands wear out earlier then replace the underwear sooner, because they will no longer be able to provide the needed support.
This means either the underwear is too small or you have skin related issues with the material. First, check the size and consult with the salesperson in getting the right fit. If its health-related, then you can pick another pair of underwear that has a different type of material and also seek medication just in case its an infection. Another option for men is to try boxer briefs that will protect one's legs from rubbing while running.
- Racing and Underwear: FAQ, Running Website, ,
- The Best Underwear for Every Workout, Lifestyle Website, ,
- 10 Athletic Spring Underwear Picks, Lifestyle Website, ,
- ASICS Men's ASX Brief Review, You Tube, ,
- The Best Travel Underwear for Men Review, Sporting Website, ,
- Jockey Sport CottonPerformance Midway Brief, Sporting Website, ,
- ExOfficio Give-N-Go Underwear Review , Lifestyle Website, ,
- Review: Naked Boxer Brief (and Brief) Really Feel Like Nothing At All, Clothing Website, ,
- Woolx Merino Boxer Briefs – First Hand Review, Sporting Website, ,
- 10 Best Mens Underwear | March 2017, Consumer Website, ,