Ultimate Direction SJ Ultra Vest 3.0
When running mile after mile on a medium to long distance path—whether in training or competition—it’s important to be able to carry much-needed items like water and have the on-hand capacity to store essentials. Particularly if you’re going to be miles away from any sort of relief, runners can only depend on what they have on their person at any given time. This is where running vests come into play: lightweight clothing options that comfortably fit the runner that doesn’t restrict movement and provides them with the ability to carry much-needed items.
The Ultimate Direction SJ Ultra Vest 3—the signature series of Ultimate Direction—has been made for long-distance runners who require the ability to keep supplies on-hand during a run. Designed and tested by Scott Jurek, one of the world’s leading distance runners—the SJ Ultra Vest was fine-tuned as Jurek tested out the prototype during a 43-day Appalachian Trail world record run and made improvements based on his experiences.
The latest in UD’s line of Ultra Vests—the 3.0—has substantially improved upon previous editions. With an overall storage capacity increase of 8.5 liters (up from 7 liters in previous editions), the storage options include an upper rear pocket for a large bladder, a secure pocket located at the base of the back, which can be easily reached while running, two long pockets in the front for storing Ultimate Direction soft bottles as well as regular bottles, a zipper pocket made of stretch mesh, and another stretch pocket for small food items or a phone. With lightweight T-Hook adjustable sternum straps, trekking pole holders, a reservoir-compatible pouch, and an adjustable lateral strap that provides stability, runners will feel safe and secure wearing the SJ Ultra Vest while keeping all necessities close at hand during a long run. Lightweight and loaded with great features, the Ultimate Direction SJ Ultra Vest 3 will keep runners comfortable and well-equipped for whatever circumstances they may find themselves many miles into a long-distance run.
- Lots of available space for water, gels, solid food, and running accessories.
- Ease of access doesn’t slow down runner while reaching for water
- Built-in pole holders that are easy to store and kept out of the runner’s way
- Lightweight garment made of durable materials
- Unobtrusive, no chafing, doesn’t restrict mobility
- Pockets not as stable as ideal
- Tends to run small in size
• Included 500ml Body Bottles with holsters
• Phone-compatible pockets
• Trekking pole holders
• Upper back open for maximum ventilation
• Accessible two-layered pockets for storage
• Wide lateral straps provide stability