10 Best Electrolytes and Hydration Tablets Tested
Staying hydrated is vital, especially when running. Check out the best electrolytes and hydration tablets available on the current market.
Everyone knows staying hydrated is important, especially when it comes to pushing yourself physiologically i.e. running. All it takes it one legitimate bout with dehydration to leave a lasting impression, dizziness, splitting headache, nausea, fatigue — you get the idea, and it’s not a pretty picture. There is more to proper hydration however than simply saying, I need to drink x amount of water today, or this week or whatever the case may be. Another key component of a well crafted hydration regime is to make sure your electrolyte levels are where they should be, and this can be achieved by some of the best electrolytes and hydration tablets.
There are tons of Electrolyte infused products out there from gels to drinks to tablets. We at RunnerClick take pride in helping consumers cut through the “fluff” with personalized reviews of what we know works. Below we’ve taken a hard look at the best electrolytes and hydration tablets. We’ve come up with a list of the ones we prefer, and now we pass it on to you. Enjoy!
10 Best Electrolytes & Hydration Tablets
TRIORAL – Oral Rehydration Salts
- World Health Organization Approved, Osmolarity Oral Re-hydration Salts
- Great for replacing electrolyte during intense activity and physical exertion
- A great addition to any medical (or race day) kit
- Contains Glucose anhydrous at 13.5g, Trisodium Citrate Dehydrate at 2.9g, Sodium Chloride at 2.6g and Potassium Chloride at 1.5g
- Does not have any artificial colors, preservatives, additives or artificial flavors
- Manufactured in line with pharmaceutical GMP Regulations.
- Each product includes a certificate of approval from USFDA
- W.H.O. approved
- USFDA approved
- Ideal for race day, or even a first aid kit
- No artificial colors, preservatives or flavors
- The taste isn't super great
Medique 03033 Medi-Lyte electrolyte replacement
- 100 tablets per box
- Contains potassium chloride, calcium phosphate and magnesium carbonate
- No sugar or sodium
- Suitable for those who are lactose intolerant
- Some aren't crazy about the taste
U Natural Nuun: Hydration Electrolyte & Vitamin
- Optimizing electrolyte blend, to replenish you with the added bonus of vitamins and minerals
- Includes Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and a mixture of B Vitamins
- Designed to refresh and keep your body in balance during exercise
- Light flavor, stomach sensitive options, clean ingredients, no artificial colors or flavors
- Contains less than one carb, low calories, no additional sugar
- Some customers didn't like the flavors
Toniiq Hydrating Electrolyte
- Contains magnesium, potassium, sodium & other electrolytes
- Rapid absorption
- Comes in convenient to-go packets
- 0 Calories
- No artificial additives
- 100% money back guarantee
- Seems to affect people differently
GU Hydration Electrolyte
- Dissolvable hydration tabs, effervescent, light, flavorful
- 320mg of sodium plus other essential electrolytes
- Xylitol infused for reduced gastrointestinal discomfort
- All flavors are completely caffeine free
- Box of 8 tubes with 12 tablets in each, equals 192oz of hydration solution
- Some aren't crazy about the new ingredients
- Sugar-free, effervescent electrolyte tablet works well with any Camelbak bottle or reservoir, all you need is 16 oz
- No sticky or gunky residue to clean after consumption
- No pre-mixing or stirring necessary – just put the tablet in and let it do its work
- More electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium) on a per serving basis than the most of the leading sports drinks
- The flavors were too sweet for some
Original Nuun Active: Hydrating Electrolyte
- Nuun Active electrolyte enhanced drink tabs are well tested and well loved
- Reformulated to feature improved performance and even healthier ingredients
- Packed with electrolytes to to pick you up after a tough workout. Stops cramps and improves muscle function
- Light, fresh flavors, low calories without added sugar
- Some don't like the aftertaste
Hydralyte - Effervescent Tablets
They can be taken even by children
They’re available in two flavors- orange and berry
Comparing to the other products, it’s not too sweet
Hydralyte is gluten and wheat free
No preservatives and aspartame
Doesn’t contain traces of nuts
Some buyers complained it didn’t taste well
Brode Electrolyte Vitamin
Sodium, Magnesium, Calcium, Pottasium and vitamins such as B3,B5,B6,B7 are only one of the many ingredients used in this product. They help to supply the nutrients that you lose while running. Very good quality for reasonable price. The pills are easy to swallow and they don’t make you feel unpleasant chemical aftertaste. They let you to stay hydrated during the most demanding workouts.
It’s also advisable for the jet lag
There aren’t any artificial sweeteners
Zero calories product
You can have it with any drink, you don’t need special sport drink
They really boost your endurance
The cramps happen less often with this tablets
You shouldn’t take these tablets on an empty stomach
REVIVER Electrolytes Tablets
Free of gluten , dairy and GMO
It helps to recover after hard workout
Useful for runners on a low carb diet
There are a lot of pills in jar and it’s quiet cheap
Helps with muscle spasm
It’s very accessible
Product free of corn syrup
Shouldn’t be taken by children
The Criteria We Used For Our Evaluation Of Best Electrolytes & Hydration Tablets
Choosing the best Electrolytes and Hydration Tablets isn’t the easiest task. That’s why we work hard to help you make your choice. Here’s the list of the factors that should be evaluated before choosing the best one.
The product you choose must make you hydrated and this must lead to increasing muscles performance. Usually, these type of products help with muscle cramps which aren’t very rare in runner’s world. The effects should be visible fast and you should feel the boost of an energy. These products should enlarge your endurance and make it easier for you to run even in the most unfriendly conditions, especially those with high temperatures.
Ingredients and intolerance
A good option is to search for electrolytes such as potassium magnesium and etc. Many tablets are reinforced with vitamins that will let you to perform better. Carbohydrates are the next thing you should consider. They’re used with electrolytes usually when you work out more than an hour and it’s rather intensive training. A lot of products may also contain artificial flavors and preservatives. This means that some people, especially those with allergies, may have problems with skin or even breathing. Stomach upset is sometimes also a big problem for a runner. GMO ingredients are usually unnecessary in a runner’s diet so search for the products without it.
Other important factors while searching for the best product
Let’s be clear, you don’t want to spend a lot of money on tablets. While searching for the best option, try to think how much tablets do you need. If you usually don’t run for long distances and you don’t dehydrate yourself very often, try to purchase a smaller tube. On the other side, if you feel you’re going to take electrolytes every day, search for big box. Remember to check the quantity of tablets in the package as sometimes you can find very expensive products but that’s because there are a lot of tablets in it. Check the price for a dose or for a one tablet to make sure it’s worth it.
You must be aware that it’s not advisable to take tablets everyday as you may have to many minerals in your body. This may leads to serious problems with organs like heart or kidneys. You may need only few tablets for most challenging workouts but still try to supply the lost nutrients with normal drinking water.
The different aims of usage
Remember that investing your money in electrolytes may help not only you but also the other members of your family. Many products on our list were also made for another cases. If your children have problem with vomiting, these products may be excellent to make them feel better. They are also good for elders who tend to dislike drinking water and have fever.
Q. Are those products suitable for children?
A. No, not every product is suitable for children. If you find the product you want, find an information about giving it to children. Most of the products are suitable for children, but not every.
Q. Are tablets the only version of electrolyte supplements?
A. No, there are more options on the market. There are tablets that are very easy to use, there are powders that aren’t more complicated and there are also beverages.
Q. I’m preparing for a marathon and I work really hard, do I really need these tablets?
A. We can’t tell you if you should take tablets or now. This is your decision, however we can tell you why you may need electrolytes or hydration tablets. When you run, especially when you run long distances, your body sweats and starts to lose the water. This water has a lot of functions in our body and if you lose it, your body starts to work worse and worse. The most dangerous cases are when you faint because of dehydration. To b keep your body hydrated all the time, it may be a good idea to purchase the tablets.
Electrolytes is one of those buzzwords that everyone has heard but few people really understand (if you do bear with us). What exactly is an electrolyte? Electrolyte is salts and minerals that carry a charge and conduct electrical impulses throughout the body. The most common electrolytes include sodium chloride, potassium, calcium and sodium bicarbonate. Electrolytes are essential for living organisms.
Electrolytes are an indispensable ingredient in a finely tuned, and fueled body. In a simplified way they can be thought of a group of chemicals that keeps the electrical impulses in our bodies are working properly. Ignore them at your peril, and if you’re curious there are some great articles with further depth that can be found here and here.
The bottom line is that hydration is serious business, and part of that is making sure that your electrolytes stay in the right balance. Everyone’s going to have a slightly different palate for these type of things, so try a few and see which one of the best electrolytes and hydration tablets on our list work for you.