7 Best Electrolytes and Hydration Tablets Tested
Staying hydrated is vital, especially when running. Check out the best electrolytes and hydration tablets available on the current market.
Everyone knows staying hydrated is important, especially when it comes to pushing yourself physiologically i.e. running. All it takes it one legitimate bout with dehydration to leave a lasting impression, dizziness, splitting headache, nausea, fatigue — you get the idea, and it’s not a pretty picture. There is more to proper hydration however than simply saying, I need to drink x amount of water today, or this week or whatever the case may be. Another key component of a well crafted hydration regime is to make sure your electrolyte levels are where they should be, and this can be achieved by some of the best electrolytes and hydration tablets.
There are tons of Electrolyte infused products out there from gels to drinks to tablets. We at RunnerClick take pride in helping consumers cut through the “fluff” with personalized reviews of what we know works. Below we’ve taken a hard look at the best electrolytes and hydration tablets. We’ve come up with a list of the ones we prefer, and now we pass it on to you. Enjoy!
7 Best Electrolytes & Hydration Tablets
TRIORAL – Oral Rehydration Salts
- World Health Organization Approved, Osmolarity Oral Re-hydration Salts
- Great for replacing electrolyte during intense activity and physical exertion
- A great addition to any medical (or race day) kit
- Contains Glucose anhydrous at 13.5g, Trisodium Citrate Dehydrate at 2.9g, Sodium Chloride at 2.6g and Potassium Chloride at 1.5g
- Does not have any artificial colors, preservatives, additives or artificial flavors
- Manufactured in line with pharmaceutical GMP Regulations.
- Each product includes a certificate of approval from USFDA
- W.H.O. approved
- USFDA approved
- Ideal for race day, or even a first aid kit
- No artificial colors, preservatives or flavors
- The taste isn't super great
Medique 03033 Medi-Lyte electrolyte replacement
- One hundred tablets per box, no need for constant refills!
- Each individual tab contains potassium chloride at 40mg, calcium phosphate at 18mg and magnesium carbonate at 9mg
- No sugar or sodium, great for the lactose intolerant
- Provides relief from heat stress, excessive sweating, fatigue, alcohol consumption and muscle cramping
- Effective electrolyte replenisher and hydration solution
- Some aren't crazy about the taste
U Natural Nuun: Hydration Electrolyte & Vitamin
- Optimizing electrolyte blend, to replenish you with the added bonus of vitamins and minerals
- Includes 180 mg Sodium, 77 mg Potassium, 20 mg Magnesium, as well as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and a mixture of B Vitamins
- Designed to refresh and keep your body in balance during exercise
- Light flavor, stomach sensitive options, clean ingredients, no artificial colors or flavors
- Contains less than one carb, low calories, no additional sugar
- Some customers didn't like the flavors
Toniiq Hydrating Electrolyte
- Active ingredients: magnesium, potassium, sodium & other electrolytes to help refresh your body after a hard workout or even a night of partying
- These tablets come in true electrolyte form and this allows for rapid absorption and assimilation so you feel the effects quickly.
- To-go packets are portable, convenient, and perfect for the on-the-go lifestyle.
- Zero Calories or artificial additives: who wants to compromise the benefit of exercise by loading their body down with sugar and other chemicals, non issue here.
- 100% Money Back Guarantee, shop with peace of mind
- Seems to affect people differently
GU Hydration Electrolyte
- Dissolvable hydration tabs, effervescent, light, flavorful
- 320mg of sodium plus other essential electrolytes
- Xylitol infused for reduced gastrointestinal discomfort
- All flavors are completely caffeine free
- Box of 8 tubes with 12 tablets in each, equals 192oz of hydration solution
- Some aren't crazy about the new ingredients
- Sugar-free, effervescent electrolyte tablet works well with any Camelbak bottle or reservoir, all you need is 16 oz
- No sticky or gunky residue to clean after consumption
- No pre-mixing or stirring necessary – just put the tablet in and let it do its work
- More electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium) on a per serving basis than the most of the leading sports drinks
- The flavors were too sweet for some
Original Nuun Active: Hydrating Electrolyte
- Nuun Active electrolyte enhanced drink tabs are well tested and well loved
- Reformulated to feature improved performance and even healthier ingredients
- Packed with electrolytes to to pick you up after a tough workout. Stops cramps and improves muscle function
- Light, fresh flavors, low calories without added sugar
- Some don't like the aftertaste
Electrolytes is one of those buzzwords that everyone has heard but few people really understand (if you do bear with us). What exactly is an electrolyte? To paraphrase a Webster’s medical dictionary:
Electrolytes are salts and minerals that can conduct electrical impulses in the body. Common human electrolytes are sodium chloride,potassium, calcium, and sodium bicarbonate. Electrolytes control the fluid balance of the body and are important in muscle contraction, energy generation, and almost every major biochemical reaction in the body.
The last sentence is of particular note. Electrolytes are an indispensable ingredient in a finely tuned, and fueled body. In a simplified way they can be thought of a group of chemicals that keeps the electrical impulses in our bodies are working properly. Ignore them at your peril, and if you’re curious there are some great articles with further depth that can be found here and here.
The bottom line is that hydration is serious business, and part of that is making sure that your electrolytes stay in the right balance. Everyone’s going to have a slightly different palate for these type of things, so try a few and see which one of the best electrolytes and hydration tablets on our list work for you. And be aware of how your body responds. Monitor your thirst after your run, and checking the color of your urine isn’t a bad idea either. If ever in doubt consult with a medical professional.