New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro V2
The New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro V2 is a neutral trail shoe with a fresh, trendy design and a variety of updates to make it better able to tackle trail runs. The shoe features an improved outsole, a slightly higher drop, and a brand new midsole design for even better protection and support when heading off the road.
Users who tried these shoes were impressed with t their combination of good looks, comfortable cushioning and responsive design. Though the trail shoe lacks a traditional rock plate and comes with a higher price tag than other models, it’s a solid choice for anyone wanting a durable shoe for long trail runs.
- Comfortable fit and feel
- Generously cushioned midsole
- Fairly lightweight
- Natural ride
- Excellent traction
- Flexible construction
- Quick drying
- No rock plate
- Fresh Foam looking FRESH! I am in love with these babies. They look so good and feel great on my feet. I will not be getting another shoe again.
- I am able to take these on trails and pavement. They are super supportive and feel like to pillows attached to your feet that you can run in.
- I love the foam support. It really takes a beating and allows for maximum comfort and cushioning.
- These are my walking shoes and I have never found a more comfortable shoe. They are really supportive and have lots of room in the shoe without it moving around too much.
- Comfortable, fit right, and the colors are fantastic. This shoe is a inner in my book and I will be buying them again for sure.
- I have Yabba-Dabba-Doo feet. They are super flat and wide. These do not make my feet look like that. They hug the heel and mid, with a toe flare for room. Yet, they somehow made them come back in without interference, giving them a tapered look. They are light and still have a good amount of cushioning. The upper ankle does ub a bit so it might be a deal breaker for some.
- I have put a few good hikes in on these and they are great. They have no break in time and as a New Balance user, I knew what size I needed. They are really comfortable with light cushioning.
- These were good in the gym. They have tread, so there is a squeak when using the elliptical. They have good impact response and never gave me any break in issues like blisters. Great shoes and fit right. They work good on in spin class.
- They don’t slip or pinch. They support while offering maximum comfort. Nice color shoes, I like them.
- Thes fit my wide toes great. They didn't squish them and make any pain. I do continue to buy these but the padding seems to flatten sooner than I would like. The rest of the shoe seems like it can keep going. The soles last and have firm traction. I love the sock liner! It outlast the soe too. Maye you all need to just upgrade the cushion to something that lasts as long as the rest of the shoe. It is a great shoe.
- I ordered these a half size larger than normal and it helps with foot swell. My foot still feels secure. My heels stay in place really well. These have a perfect amount of cushioning and the grip sticks! I am going at 30% and no slippage. Great for mild to medium grade trail running.
- I didn't listen and got my regular 11.5 D shoe and no issues! It fits cozy. I didn’t have to pregame in these before going all out. They also look real fly and make my feet really happy.
- These seem to be getting better with wear. They were already great. I have used these for daily 5 miles treks through the trails in the mountains and they have been perfect, I do not even think about them. I cannot say enough about these. Great for running and hiking.
- These have kept my feet less dusty. There is some pretty rocky spots here and these have took it all on and fis perfect. It seems like the shoe was constructed for me and my lifestyle. Love it!
- My toes are comfy, they are light and fit me like a dream. Match dot com! I do not see me using any blister pads with these, thank God!
- I am fanning these because of the epic toe box. They are comfortable everywhere else too. I like this shoe a lot.
- These fit nice and didn't give me any hot spots. They seem solid and hae good comfort. They also fit perfect. I bought my regular size.
- I don't have to use my insoles with these. They are supportive and comfortable. My arches do not ache when I use these.
- These could use a lighter top area. They are not as breathable as I thought they would be. They do run good and have a great soft sole in them.
- Poor lateral support but great comfort. Has good cushioning for the type of shoe it is. For the money, it is a good shoe.
- I bought these because of the style. Lucky for me they fit perfect and feel amazing. It has everything going for it!
- This is just an inferior shoe. I have tried a lot of shoes and the Gobi is better for the price with the same sole technology. The color is not as represented. Other walking shoes have much more cushioning. I won’t be investing in these again.
- No matter what I did wit these, I could not get my socks to stay up, no matter which style I used. That is a deal breaker for me.
- These have a weird spot on the heel that digs into me everytime I wear them. I have inspected the shoe and do not know were it is. But it is there.
- These are more narrow than the 1. The shoe laces are too short to secure your foot for any amount of time.
- I tried one day in them and sent them back. These cramped up my toes. They were narrow and lacked flexibility.
- Toe box is too snug and burns the tops of my feet. They are shallow too and the padding up top is ridiculous and hard. The white on the bottom is hard to clean as well.
- The back is lacking support in these. These do not seem to be as good as the other NB Trails. Something is just not comfortable with these.
- The tongue is not secure and scrunches up. The last model was a dream. They fit and feel completely different than the last model. Super disappointed.
- Extreme narrowness!!! These were only made for people with noodle feet. The toe box is so closed in.
The shoe also features lugs that are spaced far apart to help prevent mud build up. Deeper lugs encourage better and more precise control on various surfaces. Reviewers appreciated that the outsole design helped to keep out mud and particularly liked the extremely grippy outsole.
Some users did mention that the outsole provided slightly less control on wet surfaces, though.
New Balance has actually increased the midsole thickness by 3mm. This added thickness is a nice touch considering the trail shoe lacks a traditional rock plate.
The midsole is made of impressively responsive Fresh Foam with a Hexagon midsole design (visible from the side profile of the shoe). Reviewers agreed that the added cushioning was noticeable and helped to improve the shoe's feel.
The cushioning sits somewhere at a happy medium between too soft and too hard. One drawback, though, is that reviewers noticed the cushioning lost its bounce fairly quickly. Some reviewers also lamented the missing rock plate element. The added cushioning makes up for this a bit, but more cushioning doesn't provide the same protection as a hard midsole plate.
Enough with the negatives, though! Despite these two shortcomings, reviewers were incredibly impressed with the new Fresh Foam Hierro V2 features and a nice amount of forefoot cushioning, which is great news for forefoot strikers.
What about trail-specific features? There is a Toe Protect bumper at the front of the shoe, which helps to shield against trail debris. A standard padded tongue and heel are paired with stretchy laces.
Reviewers liked the flexible design of the upper and the New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro V2's true to size fit. The majority of those who tested the shoe liked the toe box fit but a few found it a bit too narrow. Many reviewers also pointed out their delight when they discovered the Hierro V2's upper was exceptionally quick to dry when exposed to water.
The shoe does have a bit of bulk to it (considering the added midsole cushioning) but most were pleasantly surprised by the low weight of the New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro V2.
This helps ensure air circulates without limiting support. Reviewers had no glaring issues in terms of breathability and many pointed out that they were happy with the upper's ability to dry very quickly when wet.
The fit of the upper also helps to ensure a comfortable fit. The Fantom Fit construction is snug and supportive but flexible enough that your feet won't feel constricted and suffocated. The upper's breathable material helps to circulate air, too.
Small details like a padded heel and tongue up the comfort factor and the flexible overall design of the New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro V2 results in a natural feeling ride. The generous forefoot cushioning makes for a comfortable landing pad for forefoot strikers, as well.
Before making a final decision on whether the New Balance shoe is right for you, consider your priorities: weight or protection? Other than a missing rock plate, the shoe is a good choice for non-technical trails thanks to a quick-drying upper.
It's not waterproof but an accidental (or unavoidable) encounter with a puddle won't ruin your run. The shoe also features Toe Protect, which is a fancy way of saying the New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro V2 has a thick rubber toe bumper.
That, paired with a flexible design really accentuates the shoe's ability to provide a smooth ride. Reviewers liked the combination of its lightweight design and responsive midsole cushioning.
The upper, too, brings a supportive element to the shoe. The Fantom Fit and Meta Lock technologies wrap the foot like a burrito. The result is a snug as a bug feeling that still promotes proper ventilation.
The shoe also features a new outsole that's both better able to tackle repeated stress and provides good grip on more types of surfaces. The outsole also features a specific lug pattern that's particularly good at keeping the mud out. There are no tight crevices where mud can get trapped, larger spaces ensure mud is shed quickly as it's picked up by the shoe.
Reviewers were impressed with the added traction but did note that wet conditions were still a bit hit or miss in the Fresh Foam Hierro V2. The deeper lugs allow users to confidently attack trails without worrying about missing a beat.
The outsole's improved traction really helps to bring stability to the wearer. Deeper lugs make grippy the ground easier, resulting in more solid footing even on uneven surfaces.
- Deep, spaced out outsole lugs
- Fresh Foam midsole cushioning
- 3mm added midsole thickness
- Hexagon midsole design
- Meta Lock upper technology for a snug fit
- Fantom Fit technology for support and ventilation
- Toe Protect toe bumper
- Padded heel and tongue
- Stretchy laces
- 2mm added to drop
Don't let the lack of rock plate dissuade you from purchasing this shoe. It's a great update with generous cushioning and improved traction. The shoe has a fresh look and responsive design. Its comfortable fit shouldn't be forgotten either. With very few issues, there are very few reasons not to consider this shoe.