Adidas NMD R1 Fully Reviewed and Compared
The shoe was first released in late 2015. The Adidas NMD R1 Stlt Primeknit is an updated version of the original. It’s the same basic construction with a few minor tweaks and a newly revamped aesthetic. What characterizes the NMD? It features an easy to slip-on Primeknit upper and has an ultra-comfortable Boost midsole. The shoe offers a mix of comfort and style. What does NMD stand for, you might wonder? It’s a shortened version of the word ‘Nomad’. Essentially, this shoe is intended for the urban nomad. The person who is on the go, whether running or walking. The person who needs not only comfortable footwear for the journey but the person who wants to stand out stylishly, too. Released just this past month, the updated NMD is available in new colorways but features the same well-loved slip-on design of the first version.
- Great value
- Fits big, need to size down
- Low-cut design caused blisters for some
- These must be the best shoes I've ever bought, nothing can compare to these for fit and comfort and they also look great, no matter where you wear these they are acceptable
- such superb comfort, these shoes are impressive, the style speaks volumes because they look so good and the comfort is just perfect.
- The Primeknit shoes I got run a bit more larger than the usual regular NMD. I just ordered 1/2 a size down and they still felt comfortable. Can run, play tennis and use for casual where anytime, very comfortable.
- I got these from Urban Kicks and was somewhat skeptical, and I found these shoes are 100% high quality and comfortable, possibly the best I ever bought. Highly recommend.
- The modern and stylish design of this NMD_XR1 is very sound, I use them for running and for other light sports but they work well as a stylish casual shoe also.
- I don’t know why I worried about fit and sizing, I read stuff and it made me think about buy or not. So I got these, the fit is fine and wow this shoe is so incredibly easy on the feet for sports or just walking.
- I don’t need say much about comfort as these shoes are excellent I do recommend these for the great color styles and that you can use them everywhere.
- I can tell you guys, this shoe is a fantastic all rounder, sure I jog a lot but there aren't limits with this shoe unless your thinking of muddy trails, generally for easy sports and running its perfect.
- They should call this shoe the versatile because its perfect for everything in general daily life, even as a work shoe. The price is good and so is the versatility of the shoe.
- Stroll, run, jump, climb, wear casual, this shoe does all and it looks good at the same time. Get a pair you won’t look back.
- I use these in the gym, for light hiking, weight training and squats but my wife won’t let me wear them to bed or I would. I highly like these and will get another pair, ultimate comfortably.
- I like the bounce in the shoe and the comfortable fit, and its so easy to put on or take off, the material is super breath and my feet are so comfortable in these.
- I ordered a 1/2 size smaller down and yet still feel loser than I like. I feel unlucky because they do look nice.
- Whats up, these are way to wide for my feet, I feel like a duck when I run. I suggest this shoe works for wider feet people best.
- We should be told the shoe size runs bigger before we buy because that is very important. I can use these but its awkward.
- The block in the shoe had problems for me, I kept getting blisters. I tried lots of stuff but no change, I had to give up the shoe.
The Adidas NMD R1 also features what appear to be blocks placed around the midsole. These provide support to the shoe's Boost cushioning and add structure and stability where there otherwise isn't any.
Overall, reviewers liked the Boost cushioning and found it very comfortable. Some users, though, found the Boost cushioning in the NMD didn't feel as nice as with other Adidas brand shoes.
This shoe is really lightweight thanks to the airy upper design. The shoe also features a heel reinforcement piece for added stability and support.
Reviewers liked that the upper felt solid (despite its airiness) but some did find the shoe fit big. They also noted that despite the inclusion of laces, they weren't great for tightening or loosening the shoe. Sizing is key with the Primeknit shoe. Reviewers also said that they found the lack of an insole a little strange. Others complained that the shoe is cut too low on the ankle, which caused blisters.
Reviewers also noted that despite the light and airy feel, the upper still felt quite durable. It's an impressive feat to create a shoe that feels like you're wearing almost nothing on your feet without having a shell that breaks down within a few hundred miles.
The Boost cushioning isn't just comfortable, which reviewers did say, it's also responsive. A few reviewers did complain about the lack of insole, which made for a weird fit initially. Others felt the sizing was off, noting that they needed to size down considerably because the fit was much too large. Thankfully, with the right fit, the upper is snug but not at all restrictive thanks to its stretchy composition.
The outsole is fairly uniform and flat across the base of the shoe, the slip-on upper has the same sock-like design, and the low-cut shape of the shoe has returned. The colorways introduced add specks of color to otherwise solid tones to introduce a weathered look. For women, the R1 is available in a new speckled pink, in addition to white or black. For men, there's a choice between black or grey.
What else ensures the Adidas shoe holds up for miles? The upper is one piece, so there aren't multiple overlays or seams that might start to fray or unravel. The heel portion of the shoe features a reinforcement piece that acts as structural integrity. The rubber outsole is standard, but not poorly constructed.
And finally, the midsole area features support blocks that also add to the shoe's structural design keeping things together even when you're out pounding out hard tempo runs.
The shoe also features midsole support blocks that keep everything held in place and fused together. At the back of the shoe, the heel cup features a support component that ensures wearers are locked into the shoe. A few users did mention that they had to size down for the right fit, though. Without sizing down, the shoe might feel a bit too big. Size down to eliminate that floaty feel inside the shoe.
- NEW Colorways
- Primeknit upper with a sock-like design
- One piece upper
- Boost midsole cushioning
- Ultra lightweight design
- Heel tab
- Supportive heel cup
- Rubber outsole
- Midsole blocks for added stability and support
The durable shoe works for running or walking and features a super breathable, lightweight design. It's obvious why Adidas chose to reintroduce the hot-looking shoe. New colorways bring a fresh face to the Adidas NMD R1 and in keeping with the well-liked construction of the original, Adidas has hit a home run with this revamped sneaker.