Altra, a premier running shoe company born in Utah, introduced the Escalante as an homage to its home state’s natural beauty. Not ironically, the region is very scenic and provides enjoyment for runners, hikers, and backpackers alike. Bearing the namesake of the winding, graceful Escalante river – which flows through many gorges and canyons in the landscape of the state – the shoe is designed with an upper that aims to carry over these patterns for a unique and thoughtful look. This upper, which is engineered knit, is the first foray into this new fabric niche and received positive reviews. Sporting a midsole that some have hailed as the holy grail of running shoe cushioning, the Altra Escalante is also a spry, comfortable shoe that has won a solid place in the shoe collections of many a runner. Incorporating Altra’s zero drop platform and roomy toe box, it is a neutral road running shoe that can be used for daily training, indoors and out. Due to its light weight, it is also suitable as a racing kick.
- Wearers were pelased with the Altra EGO midsole technology that creates a soft and comfortable AND fast and responsive ride.
- A large selling point for some runners is the ample and wide toe box that promotes natural toe splay for a healthy running motion.
- The knit upper has no seams and is soft retainining flexibility and comfort.
- The stylish knit upper that draws inspiration from the Escalante river set in the beautiful backdrop of canyons and gorges in Utah (that is evidenced in the shoe's upper's patterning and blending of color) is a hit according to many of the reviews.
- Some felt the heel, also comprised of the engineered knit upper, had too much give and stretched too easily causing a lack of stability and possible set up for injury.
- There were a few reviews that claimed these shoes were best suited for cooler temperatures as the knit tended to retain heat and cause discomfort for sweaty feet.
- I like these because they are like walking barefoot in shoes. My toes were nice and movable.I wouldn't try and run in these because they lack support. They're also pretty slippery when wet. These never caused any blisters or pain for me. Great shoe all together.
- I bought these shoes to help with my reconstructed ACL and they have shown to be perfect. They have a great midsole and are snug without being too tight in the toe. I don't have any fatigue issues due to the lightness and the fabric is breathable and flexible on the top of my foot. I got a size larger, as I usually do with this brand. These shoes really make my feet happy.
- Besides these not being made for the winter and the shoelaces being too short, these shoes are fantastic. I put a lot of running and trailing in on these babies and I need a shoe that keeps my feet from hurting. These have a great spread room in the toe box and they cushioning is like a pillow. These have great support and traction for those muddy days. These really help with correcting runner issues.
- These shoes have allowed room for my toes while not losing security-- my feet feel secure. I recently had surgery and needed a no drop shoe and these are made for that. THey are the best shoes I have ever owned. I do not run in them I am a lifter and do the elliptical for warm up. THey are a bit pricey but totally worth the purchase. I highly recommend these shoes.
- I had never heard of this brand and the price was pretty high but I bought them. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. They have great toe room and I can wear them for anything and my feet do not hurt.
- I haven't been able to find a shoe I can run in without pain after I had surgery. That is, until I found these. The soft upper combined with the cushion and no drop have saved my running hobby for sure.
- These shoes have taken time off my trail run. The way they are designed has helped me build strength in my ankles, which I am liking. I am used to shoes squishing my toes, I just thought it was something that shoes did until I found these. I no longer have toe pain and I am just really excited that I found these. I plan on wearing these for a 10k trail run that is coming up.
- I love this shoe and I am so happy with the comfort and design. These allow for soft landings as well.
- I would say these Altras are the best out of the brand. They are a true minimalist shoe and I was able to run 10k on the first use. I love the foot shape design and the zero drop is so great on my heels. It is the best shoe out there, in my opinion.
- I love running in these. They have great control and respond well to the ground. I wish they would get there sizing right though. It is always different so you never know if you are going to have to return them a time or two.
- I am a very busy runner. It is more than a hobby to me and I go through shoes like crazy. I have found that these are almost what I need. They are lacking a little in the midsole and my knees hurt a bit. I think because they are so soft inside. I like that the top is very flexible and it helps me on turns. I tie my shoes real tight and was worried that I would feel the laces through the tongue it is so thin, but nope, it is great.
- I ended up switching to this brand after numerous injuries that hindered me unable to run. Now that I have these, they have kept me protected and are very cushy and great for distance. I highly recommend this shoe.
- These shoes feel like they were made for my feet. They have a very wide toe box and are very sushy in the midsoles without overdoing it. They react great to my runs and they have a low heel and zero drop, which is killer I only buy Altras now and I have never been disappointed.
- After wearing these for a a day or two, the pain I carry with me daily, due to my fasciitis, has disappeared. I do not have any other residual pain either. I am able to run more miles now that I have these shoes. I am very impressed and really happy with these.
- Sometimes, I don't want to take these off. They have taken the pain away that I suffer from my neuroma. I was able to wear these without my normal insoles right out of the box with no issues. These are just a great darn shoe.
- I run a lot and wore these right out of the box for a half marathon, no issues and no rubbing in weird new shoe spots.
- I own other Altras and these are the best so far. They have a better heel support and they are great runners all around. I am hooked.
- I wear these with spacers in my toes and they fit great. I do not run, I walk a lot and these are very comfortable and cushy. No issues from me at all.
- These shoes fit to size compared to the other Altras I own. They are extremely airy and breath great. I like that these shoes have a really plain and simple design and look to them. The soles are soft and cushioned and they are thin in the back and wide in the toes. The zero drop is a great design and helps tons with my run. I feel the tread on the sole is only good for roads not trails.
- Since my feet swell when I run, these were great. I love the zero drop design, it is a new thing for me and I love it. These are the greatest shoe I have ever bought.I wouldn't suggest laterals, but running, for sure.
- These shoes were made for distance and are durable. They are zero drop and 100% cushion. They respond well and have a little bounce to them when I run. The mesh top is very flexible and breathable. I have never had a problem with these shoes. They may seem a little weird at first because the toe box is big but they are great support. The arch support is a little lower than some shoes.
- These shoes are so supportive and I need that due to my surgery on my metatarsal from a fracture. These have zero drop and that is magic to my back. I recommend these to anyone, especially with pain issues,; these are magic.
- These shoes have relieved me of all my pelvis pain. They have really soft insoles and are way more than what I expected. They have great colors too.
- I am shocked and appalled at how these are priced and how horrible they are made. They have no ankle support and no arch support. The ankle is so low that it slips off and it is terribly uncomfortable. The laces are way to short and you can barely tie them. Running in them is like running in a clog. I am fully disappointed in this shoe.
- These slip with every step I take, right off my heels. They would be comfortable otherwise but the heel issue is just exhausting. I am not a happy customer.
- I liked the shoe mostly, however, they were way to soft and caused my feet to really hurt. I ended up returning them.
- I'm not sure if it is the zero drop design ot the too soft cushion, but I got a lot of pain in my bac from these. I run around 25 miles a week and these wore out in less than a month I am not impressed.
- These shoes made me feel like my feet had to do extra work to stay on track. They had not arch support and I couldn't do any laterals with them. I ended up getting shin splints and couldn't get my supination to correct.
- I usually have had great experiences with Altras. Not these however. THey are the worst shoes I have ever bought. They felt heavy and clunky and just did not do me any justice on my run. My feet felt horrible after wearing these.
- I can't believe these shoes. I am way disappointed. I felt like i was putting my feet into a a backwards cone. They were so tight in the heel and then so big in the toe. They had very little ankle support and no arches whatsoever. I ended up sliding all over the place inside the shoe.
- Ideal shoe for road running and racing
- Could be used as a daily trainer
- Both soft and comfortable as well as quick and responsive
- Lightweight and flexible
- Altra's well-known zero drop
- Wider toe box for unrestricted toe splay and more natural movement
- Stylish and flexible knit upper
- ALTRA EGO midsole provides superior comfort without compromising responsiveness or speed