Asics Gel Lyte V
Initially released in 1993, the Asics Gel Lyte V was re-introduced 20 years later in bright, new, retro-styled colorways. The Gel Lyte III is its predecessor. There’s no version IV since in Japan four is considered an unlucky number. The updated Asics shoe features some distinct differences from its tongue to its overall design. If you want a casual shoe with retro vibes, the Lyte is a solid pick.
- Available in a myriad of attractive colorways
- Great cushioning
- Perfect for all-day wear
- Soft feel underfoot
- Not a great choice for running
- I have always loved Asics shoes since I had my first pair of Gel Lyte III's and this pair is absolutely gorgeous. NOW, for those with a have a narrow foot this is the shoe for you. Runs just a half size smaller so you need to order up. Cannot shout enough on about how much I love these shoes.
- Ordered a 1/2 size larger just as it seems all reviews I see lately for all brand shoes say they’re too small/narrow. I maybe didn’t need to because this shoe isn’t narrow. Not for my foot anyhow. The tongue seems like scuba flippers for how it fits the foot. All in all I do like them.
- First design like this I’ve ever owned. Ordered the black/white shoe and it looks slick and cool. Fits me well. With extra pair of white laces. Unless they suddenly get holes or fall apart, its a very good shoe. Can’t beat the cost at $35 for a pair.
- I Love them, these shoes are worth the buck, every cent, feel comfortable, great for long rides, feet feel cushioned. But does tend to run a little bit small. Go half size bigger for a good fit.
- For someone with an ingrained trainer buying and owning fetish, I do have very high standards when it gets to trainers and these qualify as certainly good, comfort fest each time I put them on.
- I found a tight area on my right shoes at the obvious cross stitching on the outside, very annoying and causes pain to my foot after a couple of hours of wearing. I love the shoe and it fits well and feels very comfortable
- Really pleased I went up half a size from my usual size. They're super comfortable, even at a half size bigger the toe box is narrower than I prefer. They might loosen up with wear. Great shoes very good quality.
- I do love this pair of ASICS. I’d buy a new pair in every single color if I could for each day of the week! This shoe is good. I am happy to tell others it’s worth buying.
- I ordered online a pair half size bigger due to hearing that Asics run more narrow towards and in the toe area. But, not a big issue, I run regularly and find this shoe meets my expectations each run.
- I wear a usual size12 for most every brand but these twelve and a halfs fitted perfectly. I love the sturdy look and style of the shoe, when they made it they gave attention to appealing detail and the sole is tough reliable and grips every surface that I run on.
- Great looking pair of shoes and delightfully comfortable. I like the comfy tongue on these, it’s just like a comfortable sock around my foot.
- It takes some time to break in the shoe to a natural level of comfort. These are narrow shoes but they are fine for my foot size. A very good looking shoe with a clever combination of designs which promote the performance of the shoe.
- The shoe is appreciated by many runners for its unique design features which I like and the shoe gives very good performance even in challenging running situations..
- I found the shoe to be extremely comfortable, lots of support in the right areas and bags of protection where it is needed the most, I feel confident during runs.
- I have used this shoe for some long tough rides, hiking trails, even worn these while at work, this shoe is a jack of all trades and seems to be good for wherever I chose to wear it.
- I would like to say here that I feel that the shoe gives good value when I factor in how well it performs for my regular rides, I get the support and comfort that I need and to top this off this it is a great impressive looking shoe.
- This shoe has more than enough cushion no need for more, the balance is perfect and I feel the structure of the shoe is super supportive. I will buy these again, money well spent.
- The shoe felt light and yet it feels solid while I run, I don't notice shock or weight dragging me back and I know whatever surface I hit that the grip keeps me going. I run some muddy trails and its very easy to clean the shoe after each run.
- For me I wanted shoes that let my feet breath, I’m tired of having sweaty stinky feet and picking up infections between my toes, I have found the breath factor that I want, Thanks ASICs
- I like the fact that I can plough through dirty trails, lots of dust and the shoe does not cake up and stifle my feet, what dirt does take a hold is really easy to clean away. I needed good support and cushion and with these shoes I got it, didn’t mind the price tag, worth it.
- There is an annoying muscle aching tight spot on my right shoe at the point for cross stitching on the outside of the shoe. Rather annoying and hurts my foot after a few hours of wearing them, hopefully it works out and give in to stretch a bit more.
- I tried out these shoes and was surprised right away, the tongue makes it feel a bit tight to wear but I don’t mind because I feel it gives stability. ASICs should sort out the sizing confusion.
- I got the shoe, took a good long run and found the shoe is way too narrow and does not allow for my wide feet. Wish this had been made clear about the shoe before I got it. I won’t suggest runners with wide feet buy these
- Got a big surprise when the shoe first arrived at my home, I opened it and boom it was nothing like the color on the store website. This might not seem much but for me I wanted a specific color. Disappointed.
- Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think so but when I run the heels feels to rigid, it’s stiff to the point where my foot aches, good idea to make the shoe more flexible. The shoe look kinda big and bulky and the stiff heel might be part of a problem with this.
Because of the attached tongue design, the upper has a much snugger fit than the III. The V also comes in a variety of versions with different upper materials. Different upper constructions are available at different price points. Some versions available are mesh, suede, and nylon. Inside the Lyte, there’s a quick-dry neoprene lining. In terms of reflectivity, it depends on the colorway you choose. Some offer reflective detailing at the back of the shoe. A few Lyte V colorways are also made with waterproof Goretex material.
- Rubber outsole with deep flex grooves
- Asics GEL cushioning (slightly softer than in the III)
- Attached tongue and foot-hugging fit
- Available in several upper materials (mesh, nylon, suede, Goretex)
- Quick-dry neoprene lining
- Some colorways include reflective detailing