Asics Gel Flux 4 Fully Reviewed and Tested
At a reasonable price that will put a smile on your face, the Asics Gel Flux 4 running shoe is a great start to any running career or as a sturdy daily trainer for running on roads. While it may not feature all of the bells and whistles of some of Asics other expensive styles or shoes formulated for more specific terrains, the brand didn’t hold back on the necessary characteristics of quality that Asics has been known for since the company was founded in 1949.
With its Trusstic System®, Guidance Line®, and Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL® Cushioning System technologies and DuraSponge® and AHAR® rubbers (plus many more features!) this shoe has the comfort, support, durability, and breathability you need to log on those miles. Whether you’re looking for a durable everyday shoe that will take a beating on your long road runs while still providing the comfort you need, or if you are an entry level runner looking for your first shoe, there’s a good chance this is the shoe for you. Since its release in January 2017, the Asics Gel Flux 4 has enjoyed the same popularity among entry-level and light road runners that it’s predecessors did.
- Good price
- A sturdy, economical shoe
- Perfect shoe to wear for the gym
- Airy mesh and stitching-reinforced overlays
- The insole can be easily removed
- More stylish than some of the previous Gel Flux shoes
- A few runners have complained of a loose fit
- Not as light as hoped by some runners
- These Asics fit a bit more stiffly than other Asics runners, but once you break them in, they are very comfortable.
- There is good heel and toe support in these Asics, and I find that they are great for high impact sports.
- These shoes fit true to size, and they are supportive and comfortable.
- The Asics Flux 4 shoes not only offer fantastic support and cushioning, but they come in a great selection of colors.
- The main reason for repeated purchases is mainly because the arch support is top notch.
- They are actually really good for multiple types of workouts, far beyond running.
- The toe box is nice and wide; however, I went up half a size.
- The Ascis Flux 4 fit well right out of the box, and they didn't require a lot of break in time, but I did need to go up half a size.
- There are quite a few purchased based on how well they work for people with back pain
- This one is also pretty popular and supportive if you have a pronation issue.
- The support that works well for pronation issues also works for those with flat feet.
- Overall, these shoes offer comfort, great fit, and come in bright colors that are very pleasing. They also offer wonderful arch support that are not often found in a lot of shoes with basic support in their design.
- A lot of people comment that these are also great for walking.
- The Asics Flux 4 are very durable and versatile. They are my favorite of all the Asics runners.
- Besides the solid arch support, the overall comfort is something mentioned by a lot of customers.
- They really don't seem to require much break in time.
- According to many customers, these are a great choice for people who need to be on their feet for long periods at a time.
- That same support that aids issues with pronation and flat feet is also ideal when it comes to other conditions such as plantar fasciitis.
- Running inclines on a treadmill or roads doesn't seem to affect the shoe or the wearer. The overall fit keeps the shoe on right.
- This seems to commonly be a good alternative to the cumulus for those who like to stay with one brand.
- These particular shoes are less cushioned than other Asics runners. However, with gel inserts, they were much better.
- They seem like they're bulkier than they really should be. The weight is a little heavier as well.
- These shoes do not feel as cushioned as the Asics Nimbus.
- The overall fit is decent, but noticeably smaller than the last version.
- Although it isn't the case as much, there are still some earlier customers who felt the sole was stiff for quite a while.
- These were very comfortable, but a hole developed in the toe section.
Asics have used their durable AHAR® (Asics High Abrasion Resistant Rubber) in the areas of the shoe that are exposed to more wear and tear, producing longer lasting protection from the elements and terrain.
Asics DuraSponge® rubber, which is a softer rubber, is located in the forefoot to provide extra cushioning and added traction to the shoe.
Asics testing shows that SpEVA® provides a 20% bouncier, lightweight and responsive rebound. This means that with the same effort you normally put into your stride, you will now be rebounding 20% faster - that can only mean good things for the miles you put in and the comfort your joints and knees need.
As the foot moves through the line of progression, these systems reduce the pressure and stabilize the foot. This allows for a great deal of comfort without lowering economic productivity. For additional comfort, the Asics Gel Flux 4 also features a padded tongue and collar, breathable mesh upper, cushioned insole, and soft lining.
The subtleness of the shoe is offset by the familiar flashing Asics logo, with the reflectiveness as always offering more visibility for a runner and therefore helping to make your run safer.
The lace-up closure is snug and produces a comfortable, figure-hugging fit while the built-in breathability keeps your feet aired out even on the longest of runs.
The new, thinner overlays look more stylish than previous versions, and a rubber toe bumper on the tip of the shoe finishes off the look and ensures durability and safe toes.
The heel height for the Men’s Asics Gel Flux 4 is 23mm, while the Women’s is a 22mm; and the forefoot height for the Men’s shoe is 13mm while the Women’s shoe is 12mm.
This means that the heel to toe drop in both shoes is about 10mm, which is a fairly standard sized drop that is found across a broad spectrum of Asics running shoes. This sized drop provides a runner with a good amount of cushioned comfort while not being too ‘marshmallowy’.
- AHAR® (Asics High Abrasion Resistant Rubber)
- DuraSponge® rubber
- SpEVA® Midsole Material
- Guidance Trusstic System®
- Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL® Cushioning Systems
- New and improved seamless stitching and thinner, synthetic underlays
- New and improved soft nylon mesh
It’s an everyday warrior type of running shoe - if you’re looking for fancy bells and whistles or for a shoe that’s appropriate for terrains other than asphalt or light off-road/gravel, you are going to want to look elsewhere.
However, if all you want and need is an energy efficient, comfortable, resilient shoe with good breathability and endurance - look no further! The Asics Gel Flux 4 will not disappoint, and the very sensible price will keep you smiling for many days after you purchase this reliable shoe.