Samsung Gear Fit2
When it comes to fitness trackers, it’s difficult to find the right balance between appropriate and extraneous: after all, if you’re just using a sports watch to monitor your distance and pace, why would you need it to track thirty other sports? But fitness trackers can also be a little too pared down, recording only the basic metrics and providing little else. In the Samsung Gear Fit2, however, runners will find an activity watch that will record all the necessary information they need to record and monitor their run plus a little something extra.
With a slim design and curved AMOLED display, the Fit2 is an update from Samsung’s original model that gives its user something with a little more substance. With a balance between fitness and smart functions that many will find appealing, the Fit2 aims to please its active audience. Featuring all-day fitness tracking features, the Fit2 also has GPS for tracking distance and pace while running, heart rate monitoring, smartphone notifications, automatic exercise detection, and can store up to 1000 songs. Even a unique feature like its caffeine and water intake tracking is never extraneous, but instead more like an innovation that runners never thought they’d use but find it immensely helpful once they do.
With a curved screen that wraps around the wrist to keep the Fit2 thin and fitting close to the skin and coming in a variety of attractive colors and at an affordable price, the Samsung Gear Fit2 is an activity tracker and smartwatch rolled into one compact, comfortable package. While even this activity tracker may have more features than some runners may desire (unless you always wanted to match your Spotify playlist onto your activity watch), this is a fitness tracker that works like a smartwatch.
The array of built-in sensors, including a heart-rate monitor, provide accurate readouts of the wearer’s stats and exercise metrics.
Pre-loaded Spotify access and a 4GB hard drive allow for runners to store and play music directly on the Fit2.
The intuitive menu system is navigated with just a few swipes on its large curved touchscreen
GPS system in the activity tracker provides highly accurate readouts of pace and distance, as well as easy-to-follow maps while out on a run
Automatically detects activities and begins recording them without user indication
Records an entire day’s activities for a complete readout of the day’s metrics.
- While water-resistant, it is not waterproof; too much water may damage some of its functions.
- Heart rate monitor is accurate up to a point. More strenuous workouts and increased heart rate throw off its measurements somewhat (20 to 30 bpm).
Ease of Use
- The intuitive menu lets the user begin to monitor their exercise straight out of the box with a minimal learning curve
- Very comfortable on the wrist allows for full-day wearing without discomfort or chafing
- Records the entire day’s activities, providing the user with detailed metrics of their daily exercise in a timeline fashion
- Stylish and slim, the Gear Fit2 looks and functions more like a smartwatch than a straightforward activity tracker