Samsung Gear Sport
The Samsung Gear Sport is a decent smartwatch and offers you a lot of features that customers love. You will have the ability to track 60 different workouts along with your daily steps, calories burned, distance traveled, and the duration and quality of sleep. And, bonus, it is water resistant!
Unfortunately, some customers have reported that it may not be the most accurate when tracking your calories burned, but it seems that the rest of the fitness tracking features are fairly accurate. The fact that it is highly customizable is an added bonus for many customers, there are interchangeable bands and downloadable watch faces. The cost of this device is about average and it is durable so you will be making a sound investment if you decide to go with this great smartwatch.
- Sleek and stylish design
- Can play Spotify offline
- Uses Samsung health
- Compatible with Samsung Pay
- Water resistant up to 50 meters
- Great display
- A plethora of widgets available
- Sleep tracking
- Not too bulky or big
- GPS tracking
- Not a lot of onboard storage
- App support is lacking
- Poor battery life
- Kills phone battery quickly
- Poor fitness tracking
- Not the most accurate
- No speakers
- This is a good option for someone wanting a bit more than a fitness tracker but not needing all of the functions of a phone.
- Buyers have used it to track walking, jogging, and cycling.
- You can customize the notification settings to only get push notifications for what you need.
- Buyers say it is able to track steps whether your hands are by your side, in your pockets, or pushing a cart.
- When synced with your phone, you can view all data points of activity tracking.
- The calendar can be synced with the Samsung Calendar app and Google Calendar.
- For extra convenience, it can send you reminders 15 minutes before events on your calendar.
- Standard messages can be programmed for fast replies.
- Most buyers like the voice-to-text function.
- With moderate use, the battery can last for more than a day.
- It's possible to send messages via SMS or popular messaging apps such as WhatsApp.
- There is an extensive array of watch faces to choose from.
- It is styled to look more like a traditional watch than some other smartwatches.
- The rotating bezel control is user friendly.
- Having a touch screen, it is also easy to control apps with taps and swipes.
- The display is vivid and easy to read.
- Premium Spotify users can download music for offline listening.
- The band is comfortable and able to be changed with the other watch bands that Samsung offers.
- There is no speaker so you cannot make phone calls or get sound alerts.
- Although you can control music and volume with this watch, you will need another device to actually hear the music.
- There are mixed reviews on the water resistance rating.
- Problems with GPS and heart monitoring inaccuracy are reported.
- Buyers note possible firmware bugs which lead to problems with the voice-to-text function.
- Many reviewers complain of unhelpful experiences with Samsung customer service.
- There are a few reports of display and charging issues within the first year.
- Apps for this watch are available through Tizen which has fewer options than Google Play.
- The band material can get caught or pull on some fabrics.
- There are mixed reviews on the overall user experience with the Gear Sport.
- This works best with the latest Samsung phones. Users have had some issues or lost functionality with other phones.
- For the limited amount of apps available to use on this watch, some buyers say it is overpriced.
- If you are not already actively using other Samsung devices or apps, it will take some time and effort to set up this watch for the best functionality.
The beauty of this watch is that it is water resistant (up to 50 meters) so feel free to take it in the pool or wear it in the shower. This smartwatch is not bulky and relatively lightweight so it will not get in the way of your everyday activities and will not slow you down in the gym. There is almost nothing that you cannot do while wearing this product.
This product also features a heart rate monitor that a lot of customers appreciate. Not only can you track the calories that you burned, but you can also input your caloric intake and the watch will help you balance your calories in and your calories out to help you achieve your dietary goals.
The watch is water resistant up to 50 meters and is perfect for wearing in the pool, allowing you to track not only your heart rate and calories while you are swimming, but also your lap time and stroke type.
You will also have the ability to receive your notifications from your smartphone right to your wrist with a Bluetooth connection to your phone. You can set it up so you get reminders to move if you have been inactive for too long.
A customer favorite is that you can link a pair of Bluetooth headphones to the Gear Sport and listen to music from Spotify without the need of having your phone on you. You do, however, have to have a Spotify Premium membership if you want to be able to listen to the music offline.
You can even use your voice to search for the songs you want to listen to which makes it so much more convenient when you are in the middle of a workout or a run.
The biggest complaint about the accuracy comes from the calories burned tracking. This will not just tell you the calories that you burned from your workouts but also your BMR (how many calories you would burn from normal everyday activities) and some customers just do not like that.
Another issue with it is that it seems like it is mainly giving you estimates of what you should burn if you participated in that activity instead of actually tracking your steps, heart rate, and moving. Customers are just, in general, unhappy and not convinced that this is giving them an accurate representation of their calories. A lot of customers, however, do agree that the step counter and sleep tracker seem to give them accurate results so it is not all bad.
Customers love and appreciate that you can connect your Bluetooth headphone directly to your device so you can listen to music without the hassle of using your phone. You can either use the Spotify app or you can add music directly to the device, as there is onboard storage, to listen to your music while working out or swimming.
One of the biggest issues is that you will not have access to some of the more popular Google apps such as Google maps, and Google assistant.
All of that being said, there are some pretty good apps that you have access to that customers do love. The most popular is the Spotify app, allowing you to listen to your music right from your wrist.
You can also link your device and sync your swimming workouts to the Speedo On app which aides in tracking your pool workouts. Some other more popular apps you can use from this watch are Find My Car, Uber, Nest, and Under Armour Connected Fitness Suite.
They do not have to worry about feeling like there is a weight attached to their wrist and it will not get in the way of their normal everyday activities. Since many users will wear this watch all day it is important that it stays comfortable, otherwise, people would not want to wear it.
The watch face is also customizable. You can choose from a plethora of watch faces from the store, some are free and others have to be paid for. You can make this watch look however you want it to so you can pick something that is going to best fit your style and personality.
Durability is important because you do not want to have to worry about spending your money on this product and then have it break on you and have to replace it. The screen is made using Gorilla Glass 3 which is super tough and scratch resistant, so no need to worry about the screen breaking on you.
The always-on aspect of the watch means that instead of the screen turning off it will just darken the pixels to reduce the time it takes to 'wake up' the watch when you are ready to use it.
Another great aspect of the watch face that customers have fallen in love with is the fact that it is customizable. Using the Samsung store you have the ability to purchase additional faces (or there are free options) to make sure you get something that you are going to love.
Ease of Use
Those users who are familiar with electronics should have no problems with figuring this out although if you are not familiar or comfortable with these types of products you may have some troubles figuring out how to use all of the features.
It is important to keep in mind, however, that there are a lot of factors that go into determining how long the battery will last. If you have the GPS features turned on and the screen brightness turned all the way up it is to be expected that it will need to be charged sooner than if you weren't using those features.
This devices charges using a wireless charger which is convenient, as you will not have to worry about plugging it in. Unfortunately, it is a proprietary charging dock so it will not be as convenient to replace the dock if the need arises. The dock, however, does plugin using a standard micro-USB cable.
-Tracks steps, distance, calories, and sleep
-Can track 60 different workouts
-Great size, lightweight, and comfortable
-Can access Spotify to listen to music from your watch
-Comes with 4GB of storage
You can link your Spotify account to your device or put music directly on it so you can listen to your music while you are working out without the hassle of carrying your cell phone. Some customers have complained that the calorie tracker isn't the most accurate so if you are looking for something to monitoring caloric intake then you should consider a different option. Altogether though, the Gear Sport does not seem to be a bad watch.