Get outside and explore the city or the wilderness with this powerful full-featured Suunto watch. From negotiating bustling city streets to navigating tricky backcountry trails, the Suunto Traverse GPS watch will guide you on all your adventures from the comfort of your wrist.
Utilizing the topographical maps in Suunto Movescount combined with the integrated GPS and GLONASS navigation system on the Suunto Traverse, you can plan your route before ever leaving the house. Using the Movescount app via your smartphone or computer allows you to determine your best route. Plug the route into the integrated GPS navigation system and you’re off. The Suunto Traverse uses both GPS and the GLONASS systems for powerful accuracy, allowing you to navigate your adventure with confidence.
To be sure you always know where you are in the backcountry the FusedAlti technology charts your distance, altitude, total ascent, and vertical speed. The digital compass and barometric trend information, including storm alarms, tell you if it’s time to seek shelter, as well as sunrise and sunset times so you can set up for breathtaking photos.
The step and calorie counter help calculate and track your workouts whether running trails or training hard at the gym. When synced with your smartphone you’ll receive a subtle, and silent vibration to let you know of incoming calls and texts. You can also rest assured that the powerful battery of the Suunto Traverse will keep you exploring for hours and days with up to 100 hours battery life
- GPS and GLONASS for route and POI navigation
- Route planning made easy using Suunto Movescount with topographic maps
- Tracking for speed, distance and altitude
- Altitude Tracking (FusedAlti™) and Compass
- Weather trend and storm alarm and Sunrise-Sunset times
- Daily, weekly, monthly and yearly activity tracking of steps and calories
- 100 m/330 ft water resistant
- Larger overall size
- Some complaints of lengthy times for weather and GPS functions to connect.
- Complaints of battery life not as suggested
- Some consider the price high
The Traverse is capable of tracking stats and aiding you in numerous activities such as trail running, mountain biking, hiking, mountaineering, backcountry skiing, adventure racing and petty much any outdoor excursion you embark on.
The digital compass and barometric trend information, including storm alarms keep you safe. Route planning is made easy using the Suunto Movescount app with topographic maps. For speed, distance and altitude tracking, FusedAlti™ is super easy to navigate.
Also, any location or point-of-interest information can be stored quickly with the press of a button from any view.
Compass - The Suunto Traverse comes with a digital compass that is tilt-compensated and provides you with essential directions and a reference to true north. The compass accuracy was very dependable when compared to other watches with a compass feature. It can also be manually calibrated for declination, which is nice.
Step Accuracy - The Traverse tested true and accurate for step count as well as caloric output. Just a reminder that every company uses a marginally different algorithm in their watches for calculating step count so make sure to calibrate yours correctly.
Heart Rate - Resting heart rate testing on the Traverse reported data accurately, but during extreme training it often read lower than actual heart rate number - sometimes by 5 to 10 BPM, but mostly within range when compared to other heart rate monitors.
GPS - Although the connecting time to a satellite was a tad sluggish, there was no noteworthy difference in time or accuracy of connecting to a satellite, compared to other GPS watches in the same price range. The Traverse normally was off a minimal amount during the middle to long distance hikes, which is well within a workable margin of error for a GPS device. The GPS and GLONASS navigation systems combined were very accurate and make this system a big-time leader.
Other connections such as watch customization, linking between devices, phone notifications can all be performed wirelessly.
Review daily, weekly, monthly or yearly activities like tracking of steps or calories by using the USB cable, which is faster, or by using Bluetooth. Your phone can also be connected as a secondary display of the wristwatch using the Suunto Movescount App.
Joining online sports communities such as Strava, TrainingPeaks, MapMyFitness, and others are a snap because they are all accessible on the Suunto Movescount website.
The tint can be adjusted and the contrast can be altered, which can be helpful for both viewing during daytime or at night. The backlight feature has three settings available to use: normal, night, and toggle.
In addition, the Traverse GPS watch face has a flashlight mode feature, similar to a smartphone that keeps the face on at its full illumination until it is manually turned off. This comes in very handy when its pitch black and you need to rummage something out of our backpack and your headlamp is inconveniently nowhere to be found.
Overall, the Traverse crystal display face is very impressive both in quality of construction and usability.
Ease of Use
• Suunto Movescount App - Route forecasting is made easy using this free app. Topographic maps show trails, speed, distance, and detailed elevation reports.
• FusedAlti™ - The altitude tracking app informs you of vertical speed, and total ascent, is super easy to navigate and a huge plus when climbing or descending high peaks.
• Wireless Syncing. Bluetooth technology allows you to wirelessly sync the data from your Suunto Traverse to your computer, tablet and more than 100 distinctive smartphones.
• Long battery life. The lithium battery in the Traverse will last for up to 100 hours of continuous use. It charges to full capacity within a couple of hours.
• Incoming call, text, and push notifications. This helps you stay connected while out training and is displayed on the screen with a silent pulsation.
• Flashlight and Backlight- This feature automatically boosts illumination to full power.
• Water Resistant- Although not waterproof the Traverse is water resistant up to 100-meters so safe to shower or swim with.
In a nutshell, the Traverse gives you a sense of confidence to get out and discover new terrain, which is exactly what it supposed to do. So, if your adventures consist of hiking unfamiliar trails, summiting high mountain peaks, exploring in the backcountry, or simply surviving the frenzied jungle of a new urban area, the Suunto Traverse will be your guide no matter what explorations you seek.