Altra Provision 2.0
Flat feet and the subsequent overpronation that occurs in a running gait can lead to shin splints, plantar fasciitis, and other common painful running injuries. Fortunately, there are a number of answers to this problem, from stability shoes to zero drop, and for the runner in desperate need of extra support, the Altra Provision 2 has put in the work and tech to create a zero drop stability shoe that’s perfect for walking, light trail running, road running and cross training.
With flexible stability in mind, the Provision 2’s proprietary StabiliPod technology provides boosted medial, lateral, and heel support in the foot, while its Innerflex technology allows for foot flexion via grid-like flex grooves in its midsole for more stability and speed. As is standard in every Altra shoe, the Provision 2 is equipped with a FootShape toe box, which allows the toes to spread out to a more natural position inside the shoe for a more stable, comfortable run. Its zero drop platform is fully cushioned to encourage low-impact footfall.
Besides these much-needed features, the Altra Provision 2 features a mesh upper that provides excellent ventilation, keeping the foot cool and dry while also diminishing the potential of moisture collection and subsequent odor. Besides this, the midsole provides both shock absorption and a great energy return with every step. The toe-off provided by this midsole is also incredibly powerful, which combined with the expanded toe box gives the runner a natural feel as they toe off. In addition, the Provision 2’s outsole was created with the natural shape and subsequent movement of the foot in mind, following the pattern of the foot’s flexing and bending. This helps the runner feel free from the restrictions of the outsole and also provides additional stability. For stability, comfort, and a noticeable natural feel, the Altra Provision 2 is ideal for those that require additional support in their running shoe.
- Responsive A-Bound™ EVA midsole provides a responsive, comfortable cushioning
- Innerflex™ midsole platform features grid-like grooves for superior flexibility
- StabiliPod™ system on the outsole is a tripod-shaped design that stabilizes the medial and lateral sides and heel of the foot.
- FootPod™ outsole is shaped to follow the natural outline of the foot and allows the runner freedom of movement and the ability to flex naturally.
- FootShape™ toe box allows for toes to naturally splay, aiding in toe-off and providing for a natural landing.
- Some complaints that the StabiliPod™ units wear too quickly.
- A few reviews note that the Provision 2 is bulkier than anticipated
- Incredibly flexible trainer that mimics natural foot flexion and movement
- Has a stylish retro appeal to its aesthetic that hides its nature as a stability shoe
- Outsole that’s designed to follow natural foot shape and movement
- Very comfortable, durable midsole that runners will appreciate
Although some complaints have been voiced that the StabiliPod™ units on the outsole wear too quickly and the shoe is perhaps more bulky than many runners are familiar with, it’s a surprisingly lightweight trainer for all the tech it’s loaded with and hides its nature as a stability shoe with a cool retro look. Since it has dropped considerably in price from its first release, those looking to transition to a zero drop stability shoe may find a bargain in the Altra Provision 2--and a solid trainer, as well.