Asics Gel Kayano Trainer Knit MT Fully Reviewed
Since 1993, Asics’ Gel Kayano line has earned a solid reputation as serious running shoes that put speed and style above all else. And it’s one that they’ve kept throughout several different releases. With their Trainer Knit models, they’ve now proven that they can also hold their own when it comes to knit upper designs. Asics Gel Kayano Trainer Knit MT comes with a sock-like upper that fits right over the ankle. All that said, this particular model is not a best-selling item. Not everyone is a fan of how they look, and their color options are extremely limited. And as a result, there are not as many reviews to be found about this particular shoe as there would be for other Asics models. Still, those that are available are generally quite positive.
Keep reading our in-depth Asics Gel Kayano Trainer Knit MT review to find out if it is worth the investment.
-A decent price for some very advanced features
-Offers the wearer a personalized fit
-Flexible yet supportive and stable
-Goes with a number of casual looks
-A very lightweight and comfortable feel
-Mid top provides additional warmth during cooler weather
-Has a limited amount of color options
-Mid top section is not very durable
-Can get uncomfortable during warmer months
- I have had nothing but a good experience with these. They have helped my pronating and they have really amazing support.
- These look better in person. I am officially an Asics fan, buh-bye Adidas. These are a whole other level of comfort. They have no weight to them and the arches are perfect.
- I would say these are more a casual fit sneaker. Maybe for the gym or other mild uses. They didn't work well running. They have comfort though.
- They have the most amazing soles in them. I love Kayanos any way but these are top notch. They are snug but no overly done. Love these shoes.
- Super amazing fitting shoe. I have never had one fit so perfect. Style and design are unbeatable.
- I love my new blue shoe. I took them out of the box, threw them on and spent the day running around a festival. I have not one ache or pain and the cushioning is stellar. I will buy these again.
- These are so great and supportive and I feel they absorb my pain from standing for 12 hours every day. I am happy I found these.
- These are so supportive, comfortable and fit great to my narrow feet. They are breathable and light as well. Really phenomenal shoe.
- I was happy that they fit to size and I haven't had a more stable and supportive shoe in life.
- These are comfortable and look really nice. I was impressed. They look better in person.
- These were a box of pain on my feet. I tried to use them for 6 months and now my feet are damaged. I am healing now.
- Asics blows my mind with their inconsistencies in sizing and cushioning. Thy have no support or padding and I tried these on in the store before I bought them online.
- These do not work well for anything they fit like a loose sock. Very uncomfortable.
- I will not be gettin these again. The sole is garbage and wears out way too fast.
Also, it’s said to be surprisingly durable and protective. Considering the shoe’s sock-like knit upper, it needs a sturdy foundation to support the wearer throughout the day. This rubber outsole provides that foundation.
Also, EVA foam midsoles are known to provide additional support and relief to those with conditions such as shin splints.
Its sock-like feel is enhanced even further by the knit mid-top, which stretches and fits right over the ankle for added support and comfort. A TPU foot cage, modeled after Asics’ signature striped design, wraps around the foot to create added structure and support.
Built into this foot cage is a traditional lacing system that allows the wearer to customize their fit better. All of these factors will enable the buyer to feel as if they’re only wearing socks.
Despite their heavy appearance and various advanced features, buyers have remarked at how incredibly light these shoes feel. When it comes to serious running shoes, designers need to strike a perfect balance between supportive structure and lightweight flexibility. Reviewers say that balance has been achieved with this shoe.
This gives a more comfortable wear and can even help prevent odor and possible foot infections. That said, it’s not known how breathable this shoe is compared to other recent models, such as an Adidas NMD Primeknit.
This model does fit true to size, according to several online reviews, which makes purchasing them easier for everyone. Though the shoes’ mid-top pulls over the ankle just like a sock, which adds to their level of comfort, they do come with a traditional lacing system to offer a more customized fit. Some reviewers have even stated that they never have to lace this shoe at all.
When these are paired with the sock-like mid-top that fits right over the ankle, it’s a unique shoe design. A common complaint among reviewers, however, is this shoe lack of color range. Black or white options are the most common, but an occasional grey or navy model can also be found at some retailers.
Even the knit upper, with some added protection from the TPU foot cage, stays resilient after months of usage. All that said, these knit uppers are still prone to damage in certain areas. Several consumers have noticed that the ankle material starts to wear down and rip after a just few months of use.
The knit mid-top also protects the ankle from colder temperatures, making it more than suitable for long runs during the winter months. There is still no information about how well this shoe holds up in rain or snow, so it’s best to be safe and put these aside during harsh weather conditions.
And compared to other mid-top designs, such as those found in Converse models, this shoe allows for completely natural movement of the ankle as well.
- Soft and stretchable knit upper
- Heritage-inspired EVA midsole
- TPU cage offers support and stability
- Limited amount of color options available
- Very comfortable and flexible fit
- Sock-like mid-top provides protection and support
- Upper offers a lack of durability
Asics Gel Kayano Trainer Knit MT offering a customized, sock-like fit, along with support and stability for serious runs, this highly underrated model has successfully satisfied many consumers and given the Asics brand a place among today’s highly modernized running shoes.