ASICS Tiger Gel Lyte MT
ASICS got its start in the living room of Mr. Kihachiro Onitsuka in 1949 as Onitsuka Co., Ltd. They manufactured basketball shoes in Kobe, Japan. Fast forward to 1977 and Mr. Onitsuka decided to rename his company ASICS, based on the Latin phrase “Anima Sana in Corpore Sano” which, very appropriately translates to “A Sound Mind in a Sound Body.” With that premise in mind, ASICS was designed around the belief that a happy and healthy lifestyle is created by promoting total health and fitness. They have followed this guide for the 40 plus years they have been on the market and will continue to do so going forward. The ASICS Tiger Gel Lyte MT was created with both fitness and lifestyle in mind, with the ultimate goal of a happy and healthy lifestyle.
The ASICS Tiger Gel Lyte MT pulls key elements of 3 previous models to create an incredibly comfortable, warm shoe that can be worn as a boot in winter conditions or around town running errands. Borrowing the Sockliner from the Gel Lyte V, the padded split tongue from the Gel Lyte III, and the Heel Clip from the Gel Respector, this shoe has the best of each and combines them beautifully.
- Sock-liner construction
- Padded split tongue
- Rubber sole with lugged design
- Alpha Gel cushioning
- Ballistic mesh on upper
- Lace up in addition to sock-like fit
- Shoes may run a half size smile
- Shoe is described as narrow
- The majority of buyers are pleased with the look and comfort of ASICS Tiger Gel-Lyte MTs.
- The design of these shoes is stylish and modern.
- Older buyers appreciate that these are fashionable without being too flashy.
- For well-groomed trails and urban jungles, these shoes fit the bill.
- The midsole takes the brunt of impact making these comfortable even for people with chronic knee pain.
- The fit is described by buyers as comfortably snug.
- Some versions have grey soles which don't show dirt as much as white soles.
- The upper is easy to clean and scuff resistant.
- These shoes have high-quality stitching and overall craftsmanship.
- The reflective accents add style and a little be of extra safety.
- Even buyers who are generally not fans of ASICS give these shoes positive reviews.
- The materials and sockliner keep feet warm in cold weather.
- The outsole has a decent amount of traction.
- Reviewers who have suffered serious heel injuries claim these work for them.
- The sockliner provides a secure yet comfortable fit.
- The most common complaint is about sizing. These run small. It's recommended to buy a half to full size larger than normal.
- The design is narrow. These are not recommended for people with wide feet.
- Most reviews are based on the comfort and style. There are very few reviews about the performance as a running shoe.
- There are a few reports of the heel loop breaking.
- The toe box is narrow.
- These may require some break-in time.
- These are warm shoes. There are no buyer reviews on the breathability.
- A few people have had issues with sizing inconsistencies between pairs in different colors.
- The sockliner affects how easily you can put on these shoes. They are not as easy to slip on as some other running shoes.
- There are a few complaints from buyers about the outsole being too rigid. If you are looking for a shoe with a lot of flexibility, this may not be the best choice for you.
- There are no reviews on the long-term durability.
The lightweight, snug, mesh upper keeps feet cool but adds support at the same time with the coated leather materials. Additional stitching around the foot, all-around cushioning and a padded, split tongue create a soft feel all around the foot. The breathable mesh upper allows air into the shoe while creating an even more comfortable fit.
The entire upper is connected in a sock-like feel. Slightly higher in the heel, the Tiger Gel Lyte MT protects the Achilles heel on any excursion. The ballistic mesh on the upper provides breathability and keeps the foot cool but it also adds contrast to the coated leather supports and ASICS symbol on the outside of the shoe. The split tongue shows the ASICS brand at the top in and adds depth to the appearance.
• Highly flexible, lightweight rubber outsole
• Sock liner surrounds the entire foot in one piece, for a snug, comfortable fit
• Heel clip holds the foot securely in place, reducing friction and rubbing
• Coated leather mesh upper allows for additional breathability and cooling
ASICS offers many different products, from performance-driven shoes to technical active sports apparel to accessories, all dedicated to bringing harmony to the body and soul. The Tiger Gel Lyte MT has such a versatile base that it brings harmony to the sheer flexibility of uses. Reasonably priced based on current market and other models available in this genre, ASICS keeps this shoe at the forefront, challenging competitors to raise the bar and increase their technology and design budgets to keep with their ongoing production of new models.