Under Armour Speedform Apollo 2 Fully Reviewed
The Under Armour Speedform Apollo 2 is the new sheriff in town. The lightweight trainer is meant to provide cushioning for speed work or race day. The Speedform Apollo is a natural shoe that’s meant for runners who do not have issues with overpronation.
It’s a great option for runners who prefer adequate cushioning and protection underfoot but still want to experience a fast ride. A couple of minor updates to the previous model have most definitely improved this second version of the shoe. The changes, though, are fairly minimal so runners who enjoyed the original Speedform Apollo will likely feel comfortable in this update.
- Very comfortable
- Very lightweight
- Flexible and responsive
- Fair Price
- Stylish design
- The outsole had some durability issues
- The shoe felt slightly heavier than the previous version
- I am a huge Nike fan. I bought these shoes because I liked the design an I hate to say this out loud, these are way better than Nike. They are durable and light and look fantastic. I didn't have to break them in and they are just so fly. I do not run distance or anything. I run a abit and walk a lot with my dogs and these are great.
- I use these shoes for crossfit and weights. These are my favorite shoes now. I used to be strictly Nikes until they came out with this shoe. They are really true to size. They are really comfortable and have unbelievable flexibility with really great quality and durability. Great shoe all over.
- I am pushing 350 and these shoes are a dream for my big bones. They truly give me an absorbent amount of support and are comfy without going flat. I underpronate due to my weight and although I still roll a bit, these have great heels and ankle support and have kept me in line without any pain. They are snug on my feet and they do not swim around. These are my daily gym shoes and they are holding up great.
- These were sized on point for me. These not only look wonderful they are equal in comfort and stability. They are light and I am really in love with these shoes. I will be buying these again when these finally wear out.
- These are great shoes with awesome sole. They did run a bit small at first and made my toes hurt but they seem to be stretching out. They are flat in the front too.
- I use these for work, which I am at for 12 hours + and these have given me great support and comfort. They breath really well and are light on the stride. I forget I have them on at times. I have had them a year and the toe area is just starting to show wear. These shoes are life!
- I was recommended these by a friend who runs marathons. They raved about this shoe so I tried it. I am hooked. These shoes are phenomenal. I ended up getting a whole size larger because my feet swell. They were still a bit snug so I tried to break them in by running at the gym in small bursts. I have t wear really thin socks with these. They ended up not only breaking in but molding to the shape of my foot. What a dream. The shoe laces stay in place well and don't come untied easily like some shoes. I am so amped that they never gave me blisters or pain either. Great shoe and I will be wearing these on my first marathon. Did I mention they are really light too?
- These are my air shoes. They are so light and dreamy. I just love how comfortable these shoes are for me. I am a really happy customer.
- These are really soft shoes without compromising the support factor. I ordered a half size larger and they fit me great. I wear these as my all day mom shoe: running around with the kids, shopping, errands, you name it they are doing it.
- I feel they could use a bit more cushion but I haven't had any discomfort. They are doing really well with my marathon training. They also look really nice on my feet, running in style.
- These are my second pair and they are so light and airy. I always go down a half size with these because they do stretch out a bit. I like to leave the laces loose so I can slip them on and off easy and they do not move around on me.
- I have tested these shoes for sure, I run alot. I am super pleased with the style and comfort. These are my first UA and I will be buying again, I am impressed.
- I love the absorption on impact these offer. These fit good and to size. They are a bit slick on wet surfaces, maybe this will work itself out with some wear.
- These shoes are made to standard. They do not run any way but perfect. They cradle my foot like a cloud. The sole is thicker than the past model and is way more durable. The upper part of the shoe is more cushy and I am really loving it. These are not made for people who pronate. They are a really balanced neutral shoe for people without any issues. They have flat soles and do not have high arches. They are great for sprint training I have found. These are a pure upgrade from the Apollo 1!
- I had a pair of Under Armors about 3 years ago and went with the old size and they are true to fit still. Teya re some of the best and most comfortable shoes I have ever bought, no break in time. They helped me with my knee pain as well. Really dang good shoe.
- Light and snug to my feet, they are the best shoe I have ever owned. They are true to size and come in wide for those who need it.
- These have the definition of comfort and support built right in. These are a normal shoe for a normal runner, distance or short sprints. I wanted to wear them without socks but they do not like that, my only negative. Great shoe UA!
- These shoes have really impressed me. They are a huge upgrade from the old Apollo. They are better in the width and this helps with stability and training. They look great too. These would beat out any Nike easy; maybe they could learn something about durability with style and performance from UA.
- These shoes are amazing and UA just keeps getting better and better. These shoes are covered in cushion and comfort without being bulky. They are actually super freaking light. They fit perfect to size, none of this sizing up and down garbage. They heels are great and keep my foot in place, easy peasy. These are great for distance runners or office jockeys. UA is a great shoe.
- I was really pleased that these were spot on after talking to the customer support rep on the UA website. They are great in customer service and she knew exactly what she was talking about. Now the shoe, it is freaking yummy. So comfortable and light and snugs my foot. Love match for sure. I have flat feet and arches tend to hurt my feet. These shoes do not have any pressure points or issues. Great shoe, I love it.
- I wore these on a tough mudder right out of the box. These really hug your feet and support your ankle well. They let water in but it drained out well. They have a nice cushy sle to them and made me bounce. These fit right on point in size. These cleaned up so well and easy after my trek through the course. I have worn them for runs and they work for that too. Just a mean all over great damn shoe! I am very happy with my purchase. I will be buying more of these.
- The heel cup rubs me but the shoe felt great otherwise. It has a nice bounce to it and absorbs pressure well. These are a minimalist mixed with a normal style shoe. I am really happy with it. Good job UA!
- This shoe is a confidence builder and never lets me down. I am buying the same shoe after a year in these and I am so happy these lasted. They are tough shoes and breath well and are durable. I can keep going about all the positives in this comfortable stable shoe. You will not be disappointed when purchasing these, DO IT!
- I had the other Apollos and these are not even close to them. They are not as cushy and feel really snug to my toes. They also were cutting into my heel, which is really annoying.
- These shoes have almost n cushion and the heels are horrible, they were cutting me. They ended up giving me really bad shin splints too. These shoes are not good at all in my opinion.
- These fit perfect but had no cushion. I was using these to dance and when I hit the ball of my foot, it was like I didn’t have a shoe on. It really hurt. They are ugly too.
- I am a pharm tech and am on my feet all day. These were a really bad choice and caused a lot of ain. They rubbed the back of my heels and made some mean blisters too. The tongue is all over the place and the shoe just doesn't sit well. I am not happy with them to say the least.
- These cramped up my toes really bad. They look good though. I just cannot handle the pain.
- I was happy with the comfort and design. They really looked good. However, after day one, they were separating at the sole. I think this is due to the weight. Definitely sacrificed durability.
- I wore higher socks with these and they were still slicing up and rubbing into my heel. If they fix this issue, they would be perfect shoes!! They are really comfortable and look great.
This shoe doesn't perform too well in very wet weather. It's even worse if you end up slogging through mud. Plan to keep this shoe for urban running.
You'll also notice that there are prominent grooves in the outsole. These forefoot grooves help to improve the shoe's overall pliability. They also help to promote a natural running motion. Some runners found the blown rubber outsole didn't last as long as they would have hoped and noticed that it showed wear and tear early on in their training.
Charged cushioning is layered on top of Micro G foam. Both of these cushioning materials have great energy return. The Micro G foam, in particular, provides efficiency in terms of rebound during toe off. The shoe's construction enables runners to experience a natural ride while still getting enough protection from impact.
Runners found that there were no uncomfortable pressure points or areas that felt irritated. The UA SpeedForm technology means that the upper is seamless which allows wearers to run sockless in the Apollo 2. The Ultrasonic welded seams ensure the foot is snug and secure while running.
The shoe's low weight, coupled with its ample cushioning makes it a good shoe for daily runs or racing.
Runners commented that the shoe did a great job of draining out water during wetter runs. There is a kind of wet-suit like material incorporated around the heel cup which some runners found a bit uncomfortable. The material promoted the formation of blisters for some. Others appreciated the quick-drying ability of the material.
Many runners tend to retire their running shoes and use the shoes for walking or to wear for quick errands. If the outsole of the shoe is rubbed raw there might not be enough life left in them to get more use out of them via everyday use, which is unfortunate.
The shoe also features good arch support in the midfoot and the foam infused heel enhances the shoe's overall support.
The outsole, despite having durability issues, provides a nice supportive base for the wearer.
Quite a few runners commented on the poor traction of the Apollo 2. The shoes are fine when it comes to drier weather but in rainy conditions, the shoes lack the ability to grip the ground very well. This is definitely a point that could be improved in the next version of the Speedform Apollo 2.
Virtually all reviewers found the shoe moved nicely during their runs. The flexibility aided in providing a fast ride for runners. The upper is also flexible. Constructed with flexible cotton material, the shoe wears like a snug sock.
The flexible upper accommodates foot swelling and increases comfort for the wearer. The Apollo 2 is a good option for a runner looking for a lightweight shoe with some give. The ample flexibility, though, does not make for a sloppy, unsecured fit. The shoe still remains supportive underfoot.
The dual layer midsole cushioning, composed of Charged Cushioning and Micro G foam, provides a good, supportive base. The shoe also features good arch support in the midfoot. In addition, the blown rubber outsole provides stability underfoot.
Runners won't feel unsure of their footing when running in the Apollo 2. The shoe's upper also does a good job at ensuring a secure fit, providing stability. The sock-like fit, created with the help of Ultrasonic welded seams, means that the wearer's foot will not slip and slide inside the shoe.
Runners will feel protected underfoot and enjoy adequate cushion to help pad each footfall. The shoe also happens to look good. The fresh, modern design can easily be worn for non-running activities and even worn out casually. The Apollo 2 can even be worn sockless thanks to its seamless construction.
There were numerous concerns about the outsole of the shoe. Quite a few runners commented on the outsole's poor durability. Runners found that the outsole was the first part of the shoe to show wear and tear. Still, the Under Armour Speedform Apollo 2 is priced fairly and the pros outweigh the cons. This shoe is a good option for a biomechanically efficient runner looking for a lightweight shoe that still provides a well-cushioned base.