New Balance 610v5
“There’s always more to explore further down the trail.” The New Balance 610v5 is a neutral cushioned trail running shoe. Specifically designed for off-road running, it improves on the fourth version by using an AT Tread outsole with multi-directional lugs around the shoe’s perimeter so that runners can tackle any trail. It’s lighter, has fewer stitches to reduce irritation and hot spots, and has a more open mesh to increase breathability. The ABZORB cushion provides comfort while reducing shock for a smooth trip down the trails. The EVA foam provides firm, yet flexible cushioning. The shoe offers medium, wide, and extra wide options, giving a comfortable fit for many foot types. In short, the 610v5 is a shoe comfortable enough for running on trails, but stylish enough for everyday use.
- Good cushioning
- Available in wide sizes
- Great traction on trails
- Protects against shock on uneven grounds
- Great stability, support, and responsiveness for neutral runners
- Attractive style and color choices for both men and women
- Runs large: some runners report that the shoe is too wide
- Questionable durability: some buyers report wearing in the upper
- Runners with plantar fasciitis may want to replace the insole with a more cushioned one
- These shoes run larger than most NB , which was actually nice. The toes were roomier. I wear thick socks with these.
- These replaced my 9 year old NB trail shoes. When I first wore them, they were a bit tight, almost returnable. However, after about 4 hours of walking around, they didn’t even feel like they were on. These are carrying me graceful over all the rugged terrain I go through as a photographer and I am just as happy with these as I was with my old tires. The laces have loosened a few times but nothing major to report.
- I love the traction on these. They are bigger than I am used too and way comfortable. They breath well and are really durable with great traction.
- After a week, I have had no issues. I have been on a long hike ad these are light and comfortable. I like that they are easy to put on.
- These have the best arch support in any shoe I have ever owned. They do not pinch or make my feet ache. I am in love.
- These have worked on gravel and some harder terrain trails. They are very stable and cradle my fet just right. MY feet are wide and they fit perfect. Maybe not good for narrow feet. They have really nice thick cushioning. I replaced the insoles with some high arch support ones. These seem to be a little flat. They have nice deep lugs and the sole covers the whole shoe. This helped me a lot running over all the debris and mud and what not. These are not made for pavement, that might be a struggle.
- These shoes dry well and work great over roots, rocks, and other unstable type of terrain. My last pair averaged about 400 miles before it started to break down. This is a great durable and fun shoe.
- The upper mesh makes the shoe real airy and I can feel it on my toes when I run. They are very light while still being very durable. The shoe is super comfortable inside and show no uneven ware like I am used to in my other shoes. I usd thee or boxing training, the trails and running, they are holding up great. It is my second pair.
- NB have proven to be my go to for my wide feet. They are the best in size as well as comfort and design. They are also affordable. The comfort always pleases.
- I have put these to the test and they are not failing me at all. They fit great and have a roomy toe box. They have some mean grip and traction. After a month the shoe has a small tear in it but it has not affected the shoe.
- I love the arch support and they are wildly appropriate from anything from muddy trails to grass. They are really soft in the soles, that is how they are made, so if you use them on pavement, they will break down a lot faster.
- I have had these for 2 years and I trail run on a regular basis, These shoes are my buddies and they never let me down. After about a year of down hill type running , they ripped a bit in the pinky toe but still held together great. They are really durable and comfortable. I hate that they are discontinued in my width. I was able to run in these.
- My orthotics fit in these best with the top lace undone. They do come up high on my feet and un a bit narrow for a D size. They are pretty comfy shoes.
- I put on 8 miles right out the box without any discomfort at all. Thy have great to space. Really nice comfy shoe.
- Great hold on the heel while allowing plenty of toe room.I always have to get the widest size ever. They have great ventilation and keep my feet protected when running on loose terrain. These are good for my normal arches,, may need a little extra if you have high ones.
- Not made for pavement. They are strictly a rugged terrain shoe. They are so comfy and you glide right over all the debris.
- These are great wide footed shoes. They’re cushioned great and seem to be really durable and very stable.
- These are super comfy and have a great stability and support. These have worked extra great on all the rugged terrain I have to be on at work. Super supportive in my heel and midfoot area.
- I have crossed toes and need a ton of toe space. They are super duper supportive in my arches and comfortable throughout the whole shoe. NB is the oly shoe that seems to make shoes wide enough for me.
- The price had me and then the comfort to go with a great price made me happier. They are stable and comfortable and offer tons of support. They are really wide, which I need. They are always consistent with their sizing and that is hard to find these days.
- I tried wearing Nike runners on a trail and broke my leg and tore my achilles. I now know I need trail shoes. Due to this accident, my foot swells and is bigger. These have offered the width and support I need. They are comfortable enough that I wear them all day everyday. I love these shoes and they keep the pain away.
- These shoes are magic. They are light and comfortable and really hold onto my wide feet without any extra pressure. I may need a better insole but I'm gonna give it a little more runs. These are really nice and affordable trail shoes.
- The grip in these is average and the comfort is over the top. They need a bit more support in the arch but an isole fixed that. NB is always on point with the sizing so I knew they were going to fit to size.
- These shoes were way more flimsy than my 809 models. They were longer than my normal NB size. They looked wied and felt weird on my feet and seemed cheap.
- I only buy NB and these suck. They kept sliding off my heel and caused me blisters. They have a weird bump in the heel and it is really uncomfortable.
- The insoles are way too thin and have no support to them. The shoes are too wide so I had to get a normal width, which is wild since I have really wide feet. They made my Plantars flair up bad. I used the insole to my uper old 890s to see how different they were. They really downgraded the inside of the shoes.
- Worst NB made to date. They feel really cheap and have zero support. These really hurt my feet after a little bit of use.
- After a week, the shoe started separating from the shoe. These are obviously made horribly. I bought these for my trip and now I have to waste money on another pair over here.
- My foot was all over the place and these had no stability. The shoe also sits really high up on the back of my ankle.
- Compared to the 510’s, these have way less arch support. My heels slipped awful. The sizing was way off for a NB.
Key Features of the 610v5
- AT Tread outsole provides traction and control for on- and off-road runs
- Injection-molded EVA foam midsole gives flexible, firm, and responsive cushioning
- No-sew material application in upper gives a softer feel without risk of heat or irritation
- ABZORB midfoot crash pad absorbs shock
- ACTEVA LITE provides resiliency and cushioning
- XLT Footbed adds durability and cushioning
- Midfoot loop gives personalized fit and comfort
Areas for improvement include durability, especially in the upper, and improved cushioning for runners with plantar fasciitis. It could also be lighter to make racing easier or a little more stable to accommodate runners who over-pronate. In sum, whether you're looking for a trail hiking shoe or every day running shoe, with the attractive price tag, popular brand name, and technical capabilities, the New Balance 610v5 is definitely worth your attention.