New Balance 990v3
The all-American manufactured 990 is a defining and iconic shoe for New Balance. The 990v3 has a similar near-angular design like its predecessors, but improves the soles, cushioning and support. It has a stable look and an excellent heel design. The forefoot is made from Blown Rubber for a soft feel while maintaining responsiveness with a second material being its NDurance rubber for durability. The midsole is made from ABZORB to cushion against shock and Encap EVA for support, durability, and cushioning. The collar is dual-density with a softer foam against the foot for cushioning and a firmer foam on the outside for support. The shoe is reflective for visibility in low-light conditions. It is flexible enough to run up and down in, but stable enough for daily running. The 990v3 is a good fit for a variety of foot profiles, such as over-pronation or plantar fasciitis. In short, the 990v3 is a nice addition to the iconic New Balance 990 series.
- Comfortable and supportive shoe for a good price
- Good breathability
- Classic look available in a variety of color combinations
- Stability shoe good for mild to moderate over-pronation
- Good for runners with plantar fasciitis
- Good push-off and leverage abilities
- The outsole disintegrates after 70-80 miles,
- Not designed for rough or irregular terrain:
- A bit of a heavyweight; can be bulky for racing
- I like the fit it is on target and very stable, I like it, the cushion level works nicely for short runs, I can put in more extra sole padding without causing problems with fit, these are the 3rd shoes I have got in this model and I have never had any bad problems. Took a bit longer than usual to break them in, however, excellent shoe, I give it 5 out of 5 for everything
- I'm a big heavy person and exceptionally big feet, these fit good for my overly wide feet, I'm heavy coming in at 240 pounds and the padding in these seems fine so far after three months. I get a feeling of good stability and good traction during runs. The downside, the shoe can become a tad smelly, I put these outside at night.
- These are very good, once these wear out I will get another pair, for me, it's about good ankle support and these shoes come up with that support. I'm a moderate runner and these shoes are very functional though I'm not sure how they would perform for heavy duty rides.
- I wear these for running and lots of other stuff because every time I take them off my socks is still dry, breathability for me is important and these shoes deliver, the support is good but the cushion underfoot could do with a rethink. Overall, this is a good shoe for local running.
- I like the arch support and padding, I wear these all day for work and these give me total comfort and support, I'm sure they are fine for runners and as an all-day shoe they are the best, nice dry feet, even during very high temperatures.
- Love these during the hot weather, they do keep my feet cool, I'm surprised how good and well my feet can breathe. The level of padding in the shoe is ok though underneath cushion seems thin and so I use inserts. I like these, will continue buying this line.
- Love the level of arch support that I get from these, my arches are average and these shoes give good support, after my previous shoes I like the change in the cushion in these shoes, it's comfortable enough for me to skip socks.
- My feet are ultra wide and so the good range of choices for wide feet is a blessing that I need, I got the right fit, the shoe is comfy, the weight of the shoe is fine for me, breathing materials keep my feet nicely cool.
- My feet are 4E, these are incredibly comfortable, I run regularly in these and have been using them for three months, not keen on the tongue system but everything else about the shoe is perfect.
- These fit perfectly for support around my ankles, the arch support feels standard but works, the padding in the shoe gives me a feeling of snug security and the cushion is enough though more would be better. Showing signs of wear on the sole already, a bit disappointed by that but I do like the shoe.
- Won't try out these again, once bitten twice shy for sure, the quality declines with each upgrade or change but the price does not go down. The tongue has a fabric wad which is incredibly uncomfortable, it presses too much on my foot, sizing is way off the mark, bad experience with this shoe, won't do it again.
- The soles look tough but they are cheap, overall durability in this model goes lower each time they change it. The heels tear easily and lose padding. These are the fastest deteriorating shoes I ever tried. I was impressed by New Balance, they gave me back my money without a big fuss.
- The sizing is so confusing, these run way too wide for me and I have wide feet, even with a thicker pair of running socks on. They can't be run on any stone, pebbles or grit surface because the soles can't take the punishment and start to easily disintegrate. The shoe is also too heavy even for short runs.
- The tongue sizes in each shoe are different? The sizing is tricky, I end up with a shoe that should fit but it is way too narrow and causes pain when I run any distance over a few miles. Pulling up the tongue when it slips just causes the upper to bunch and gives friction. My senses tell me this shoe will not last long, durability is in question.
- The tongue in these shoes gets me crazy, it slips down and then slips to the side, very uncomfortable, causes pressure where I don't want it and friction. The toe box feels narrow and the soles are already showing too much wear.
Key Features of the 990v3
- Dual-density collar provides a soft foam for cushioning and a firm foam for support
- Blown rubber forefoot gives a softer feel while maintaining responsiveness
- ABZORB midfoot cushioning reduces shock
- Encap EVA midsole provides cushioning and support while maintaining durability
- NDurance rubber outsole provides maximum durability
- Reflective detailing enhances visibility in low-light conditions
The weight, durability over long distances and rough surfaces, and the problem with the rubber's reaction to water could use improvement, but the attractive price and improved features make the 990v3 a good daily walking and running or everyday shoe.