Best Runner-Friendly Resorts and Hotels
If your idea of the perfect vacation includes lacing up and exploring on the run, then listen up. Gone are the days of lugging around heaps of running gear or fretting about finding safe running routes in unfamiliar places. A number of resort and hotel groups have made it their mission to accommodate running travelers. And not only are they accommodating our needs, but they’re going the proverbial extra mile. So sit back and feast your eyes on what some of these runner-friendly establishments have to offer.
Westin Hotels & Resorts
The highly acclaimed Westin Hotels & Resorts group is making traveling a breeze for the health-conscious runner. Their extensive, signature wellness programs are literally the stuff that runners’ dreams are made of, so prepare to save up and rewrite that bucket list. Currently on offer are the following, among other things:
- Move Well program. This program literally leaves you with zero excuses not to run or cross-train during your stay. It includes the RUNWESTIN™ program, with three- and five-mile mapped running routes that you can either complete on your own or in the company of a Run Concierge. And if traveling light is your thing, Westin’s Gear Lending program in association with New Balance will be right up your alley. Simply call Service Express, specify your shoe- and clothing size, and for only US$5 a freshly cleaned set of New Balance running gear will be delivered to your room within 15 minutes. And that’s not all. Round the clock access to state-of-the-art fitness equipment, as well as the option of using in-room workout videos will help you fit in a workout, no matter how busy your holiday schedule.
- Eat Well program. Focusing on helping you maintain a healthy lifestyle while on the road, Westin’s Eat Well program includes their nutrient-rich SUPERFOODSRX™ Menu, the Westin Eat Well for Kids Menu and an assortment of healthy juices and smoothies crafted by Westin Fresh by The Juicery.
- Feel Well program. In need of some R&R after a long run? Head down to a HEAVENLY SPA BY WESTIN™ for a range of invigorating treatments, including therapeutic massages. Or make use of Westin’s convenient In-Room Spa services in the privacy of your own room.
- Sleep Well program. Rest and recover like a king on a Heavenly® bed that is specifically designed to promote deep sleep. In addition, Westin also offers a Sleep Well balm amenity infused with lavender and chamomile essential oils, as well as their Westin Sleep Well Menu that offers a selection of sleep-enhancing superfoods for in-room dining. And if your favorite (medium- or small-sized) four-legged running buddy is joining you on your trip, selected Westin hotels offer a Heavenly Dog Bed and selection of free doggy amenities to keep canines happy.
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
The Fairmont Fit program, offered to members of the Fairmont group’s complimentary President’s Club, also offers health-conscious travelers convenience that’s just a phone call away. Guests at select Fairmont properties have the option of using Reebok branded workout gear (including footwear) supplied by the hotel during their stay. Guests can also request in-room yoga mats and stretch bands, when and where available.
The Palms Hotel & Spa, Miami
The Palms Hotel and Spa in Miami offers a range of services to help you keep active on the go. These include:
- Complimentary running workshops. These workshops are presented on a monthly basis and focus on aspects like stretching, strength, form and mindfulness. The workshops are led by well-respected local running experts and end with all-natural eats from the Essensia Restaurant.
- Namaste in Nature. Hour-long Vinyasa yoga sessions are offered twice weekly in the hotel’s tropical gardens and on the beach. These sessions are led by well-known local yogis and accommodate all skill levels.
- A well-stocked fitness room. Hotel and spa guests have 24/7 access to The Palm’s fitness room. With its treadmills, stationary bikes, elliptical trainers, free weights and strength-training equipment, you’ll be spoilt for choice.
Ink48, New York City
If running to the beat is your thing, Ink48 in New York City will send you off on a run through the neighborhood with an iPod Shuffle pre-loaded with a killer playlist, as well as a map of the area and a water running belt. Or, if you’re due for a cross-training workout, grab one of their complimentary PUBLIC bikes for a spin around town. And if you’re in the mood for something more low-key, the in-room yoga mat is perfect for yoga and stretching.
Carneros Inn, California
In addition to its sizeable fitness center, the Carneros Inn in California offers guests a whole range of fitness classes. Complimentary classes (including yoga and boot camp) are offered on weekends, and private classes can be arranged at extra cost. Guided vineyard runs can also be arranged, and start and end with outdoor stretching.
So weather you’re off on a long-awaited and well-deserved vacation, or in need of a quick weekend getaway to recharge those batteries, set yourself up for training success by staying at an establishment that caters for the running market. Not only will the change of scenery do you a world of good, but you’ll return home feeling fighting fit.
- The best hotels for traveling runners, Online publication ,
- Westin Hotels & Resorts - Move Well, Website ,
- Run on the road: Hotels fit for runners, Online publication ,
- Fairmont Fit: A Fairmont President's Club benefit, Website ,
- The Palms Hotel & Spa: Fitness and wellness, Website ,
- Ink48, Website ,
- Carneros Resort and Spa - Fitness, Website ,
Why Breathing Cold Air Hurts While RunningAs summer turns to fall and the winter months loom ahead, runners are starting to unpack the cold weather running gear. I...
Is There a Marathon Runner's Body Type? (& 7 Keys to Achieve One)If you started running to see how it could change you, you have probably found so many ways your life has been impacted. ...
The 26.2: How Long and What To Expect When Running A MarathonSteeped in the legends of Greek history, the marathon is quite the event. Although a marathon is technically an event, th...
The 5K: How Long Is a 5K What To Expect About This DistanceOne kilometer is approximately .62 of a mile. That means a 5K race is 3.1 miles. Long before I started running, I would...