Saucony Guide 8
The Saucony Guide 8 is a stability running shoe that’s ideal for daily training but can also be handy for long distance runs. Released in November of 2014, this shoe is characterized by its combination of mild stability and responsiveness. If we were to take a look at the wide spectrum of running shoe categories, with barefoot minimalism being at one extreme and bulky supportive shoes being at the other, then the Guide 8 falls smack dab in the middle.
It caters to a wide range of runners, including those with a neutral stride and mild over-pronation. It has just enough cushioning to keep a runner comfortable but not so much that it’s too soft. Also, it delivers just enough energy so that a runner can pick up the speed during training sessions. Durability and traction are some of its strongest points. This makes the Guide 8 a fierce road warrior and a competitor against other brands like Adidas who are known for producing highly reliable road shoes. Some of the updates to the Guide 8 include a wider toe box and a new construction design on the upper. Overall, the Saucony Guide 8 contains a carefully thought out balance of elements for one to be able to say, “it’s not too hot nor too cold, but just right.”
- Highly Durable
- Variety of styles
- Grip & traction, especially over wet surfaces
- Provides a good balance of stability, support, and responsiveness
- Smooth heel to toe transitions
- Provides good ventilation
- Cushioning can be too firm for some runners
- Toe box is still too narrow, despite the update
- Bulky and heavy
- So far, 1200 miles and still wearing good, no other shoe lasted this long for me and all the support and cushion is still good and the lightness has been fantastic, the shoe was tight at first but it did give and stretch to fit perfectly after broken in. These are 100% shoes, the best I had.
- 8 months on a treadmill and these shoes don't show any wear problems, the durability is great, the stability is outstanding and the cushion is perfect, I'm going to continue with these shoes, they are great.
- For walking, these are unbelievably good, and I mean walking as in hiking the tricky local trails around my home area. I tried them for cross training but it was not working out. All in all, I think these are seriously good quality shoes but not for in the gym.
- I do a lot of track and these are amazingly light and supportive, the comfort is ace and no aching feet after long practices. These are good for anyone doing a lot of track
- I have issues with bone spur pain but not in these, I'm not sure if its the supportive heel and cushion or the structure of the shoe but I get pain free running in these. Saucony should market the shoe on this, the shoe is very impressive.
- When I run shoes take a pounding and these can take it, the comfort is incredible, my shoes must be durable and these clearly are, the stability in the shoe leaves other shoes I tried well behind in performance, impressive shoes, they work just great
- I love the way the arch support gives my feet freedom, I do overpronate and do have flat feet and these shoes are constructed so well that I don't have any problem running in these. Finally a perfect shoe.
- This shoe stops impact problems for me and that's very important because I run roads, no country places here. The cushion protection and support are so well designed, I can't imagine it being better, only one negative, the shoe feels a bit long.
- My pronation problems are solved without using inserts in these shoes, they just mold to my feet and give 100% support where I need it. For as long as they are available I will buy them.
- I run every day in the evenings and these shoes are outlasting any shoes I tried before, I can't get over just how durable these are! I'm a heavy person and most shoes wear out fast on me but not this shoe.
- My arches are very high, when I first ran in these I knew I needed to insert arch supports which I have done. Everything else about the shoe is way above standard when it comes to quality and performance.
- I got a shoe size 2E as my feet are wide and difficult to find the right shoes, tried these out and totally impressed by the cushioning, the stability is beyond ok and as for light, simply perfect. This is a shoe for us dedicated runners.
- The shoe is becoming more narrow each update, it's getting ridiculous. I run ironman races, its reached the point where I can't use these shoes but could use earlier versions. Sure the shoe has great support and cushion but now it's just too narrow. Why oh why mess up a good shoe?
- Opened the box, tried the shoe on, felt how narrow and sent it right back. If they continue to make the shoe more narrow each new version this shoe will eventually vanish off the market because it won't fit anybody. I really don't get it, take a popular shoe and mess it up, this makes no sense?
- The shoe started of years ago were perfect for feet even wide feet, each new shoe version they changed and made it less wide. I love everything about this shoe but they just don't fit me anymore, I have tried and I give up. Sent the shoe back.
- The shock factor was too high for me, I could feel it right up through my legs, not painful but certainly weird. I'm not sure why this is but for me, I can't use these even for walking they just don't work for me. It's all about ground contact, something feels wrong.
- The shoe is fine till I lace it up and then the Fit is out of sync much too tight, I tried to loosen the laces but then comes the friction, I know I have high arches but should this happen? I never had this with Adidas.
- After not long the sole started to fall off or peel off not in one area but two, this was very new I have never seen this, Seriously let down by this shoe, I wonder if it was fake?
Toward the lower end, the outsole has grooves that provide a partial amount of flexibility for the bottom part of the shoe. Also, you’ll notice that the the front part of the shoe is sightly slanted upward. The purpose for this is to help provide a forward roll motion in order for runners to have better transitions.
XT-900 carbon rubber outsole
Power Grid Insole
Flex Film Upper
SSL EVA midsole